Just another Puma Track Project.........

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLEEMAN

Hey lads and ladies!

sorry been a bit rude on the site and haven't even shown you what I'm working on

bought this puma on a whim really, managed to get this nice puma for a small sum of £150 although getting it transported from Folkestone was pretty pricey too just a little lower than what I bought the car for!

anyways, after getting it back I pretty much stripped it down getting it track ready

IMG_6396.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

IMG_6398.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6400.jpg

already trying an interior mod thought I be a bit different

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

and for the time being, this donor engine will be going in as the current one has a few issues and needs some parts changing as where this one has a new cambelt, a bit of tinkering with the cylinder head and a new clutch but may change that if necessary oh and something else too might not be noticeable as you think

IMG_6379.jpg

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6381.jpg

IMG_6382.jpg

obviously more updates in the future and may require your help with more things to come!!

Its coming along steady enough. Planning a few more winter mods and trying to work out what to do with it next. It needs more power now!

another update

bought a set of team dynamic pro race 3 old style but these can accommodate the 300mm st170 brakes I've got lined up for them

after prepping them I had a pair of yokohama parade spec 2 tyres from another puma I broke up, so bought a new pair to match for now and get some use out of them

F88083F0-AE09-458A-BAF9-37D98CAAF341.jpg

prepped in the spray booth and masked

9D7490B1-3028-453C-9FED-C44E6409BA4C.jpg

some random grey paint I had lying around

1EF08DD6-2E0D-466B-9340-8CCDC2403E4B.jpg

all finished with tyres pumped up and beads seated

A2C88B62-DCAA-441A-84CC-6D33F8264CB7.jpg

A992D9E5-1E7B-4221-89B4-D805C0FC8AEC.jpg

F82ABBF2-2C9E-4FB5-B862-6B5C88313587.jpg

cant wait to see what they look like on the car!

also been looking around for roll cages for the puma, managed to find someone and will be booking it in as soon as I can afford it haha

Theres not much out there for off the shelf cages, safety devices do a nice bolt in one, custom cages and there is also weichers sport in Germany that make one for a puma.

Oh this won't be off the shelf jay. Will be custom made, hopefully be the first one that this guy has done and will be used in future reference as a jig for him to sell on for other puma people like us for an affordable price!

i will. I've spoken to the bloke today and they don't use CDS they use RW. apparently CDS under lots of vibration can internally crack and fail!

I know I questioned it too, and the guy was saying its new steel technology either way its a good price for a roll cage fitted if all goes well i'll let you know about him

little update had some spare time to waste so been prepping the car for reducing weight

IMG_8169.jpg

IMG_8170.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

removing sound deadening with a heat gun and scraper, took a while but eventually got there with the rear section, and also cutting out part of the rear panel as its mostly there for trim fixings, boot catch etc. it might be risky without it if someone hits me from behind, but i'll replace it with a tubular reinforcer behind the bumper like most modern cars have nowadays.

more progress with striping down the sound deadening the whole rear end of the car is done

IMG_8197.jpg

IMG_8198.jpg

IMG_8199.jpg

just have to remove the seats and dash and remove all the front part of the car's sound deadening and that should be a fair amount of weight removed.

also will be cutting and drilling big holes in many panels to reduce weight as much as I can without weakening the structure

definitely, a heat gun on full power over 400 degrees does help for certain! time consuming but worth it in the end, i'll be prepping the interior after the roll cage gets welded in. unsure of colour but would prefer it in matt/satin finish minimal glare that way. not going to paint it white and certainly not black. was thinking of a gun metal grey but uncertain

Latest posts

Back