My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another little job needed doing on my Puma today as it's been nagging me for a while. My seatbelt pre-tensioner bolts weren't long enough as the captive threads on the Millenium seats were inset deeper on the seat frames than the standard seats.

021120163100_zpss3godrtv by barry wilson, on Flickr

The shanked bolt next to the pre-tensioner is the standard bolt, the longer bolt bottom right is (I think) a pre-tensioner bolt from earlier seats but I only have one. The other two longer bolts are two I bought from BAP, all of them are 10.9 tensile strength. I had some top hat spacers machined up at a local shop to match the shank on the original bolts. I also had to make a spacer washer as the round body of the pre-tensioner would press against the side of the seat without it (the aluminium thing).

021120163102_zpsf0bvqhm3 by barry wilson, on Flickr

This shows the different lengths of bolt

021120163105_zpsjlnc8vss by barry wilson, on Flickr

And this show the bolt in place with thread protruding out of the captive bolt rather than falling just short so all I need now is another earlier model pre-tensioner bolt so that's M10 button head Torx with 36mm of thread if any body has one for sale.

Awesome work as ever Barry. Need to come over for a matter, cuppa and to give you £20!

Hi Rob
Those might be worth a bob or two if you can find which car they're off (especially Ford) do they have eyes on the back or are they stick on?
Barry

Hi James
Would be good to have your company again but the £20 not necessary as that was for the spacers you gave me :)
Barry

image.jpegimage.jpeg

This is going in the post to you tomorrow, I believe it's off the seats I gave you anyway

Hi Tim
Thanks for that but just check the length of thread before you pack it just to make sure its circa 36mm as that looks a little short.
Barry

They have stabby bits on the back, looks like you have to pierce the seat and bend them. Thought they might look good on yours but then again, punching holes in the leather probably isn't the best idea Iv'e had :oops:

Hi Rob
The Millie seats are embossed on the leather but I think you should be looking on Ebay to flog these, you may be surprised!!!!
Barry

151120163114_zpsg6fw5ncg by barry wilson, on Flickr

Got these off my old scrapper today, AVO coilovers and I've stripped one already and the damper rod's mint. I've started to strip the other one but the last locknuts a bit tight so left it with WD40 overnight. I thought they were non adjustable until I tried to undo the last locknut and found out the damping adjustment is on the top of the damper rod so they can be adjusted from in the engine bay. I will fit these to mine when I put on the new wishbones I got from Ben. Hopefully I will be able to adjust them up to get a decent ride quality from the front as opposed to the horrendous ride I have at the moment with my cheapo Ebay springs. The only down side from the scrapper strip down is that both front wishbone bolts are seized onto the inside of the metallistic bush and I hope that's not the case when I try to take the wishbones off mine.

If you want to crack on Barry, I've a brand new set of Ford wishbones you can have and I'll take Ben's ones when you get them.

With a bit of TLC they look like they could be a decent set of coilovers. Main thing is not to have the dampening too hard or it ends up bouncing around, getting the spring rate and dampening right can be a lot of trial and error. Hopefully they've got the right springs on already and just the dampening to adjust :)

Hi Ben
Yeah so far so good the first one I stripped has an immaculate damping rod and no sign of any leaks. The surprising thing is though is that they are not gas dampers but with the adjustable spring platforms it will make it really easy to install them.
I'll have to fathom out which way the adjustable damping adjusts but I'll install them with the adjusters fully out and see.
Like you said I hope the spring rates are right.
Barry

Just managed to get out today for 10 mins (it's bloody freezing) and can confirm that after stripping it down the second damper rod and seal are in perfect condition... result!

161120163116_zpszopxmelb by barry wilson, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back