My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Barry,

Gaz coilovers are also oil filled. Usually anti-clockwise is less dampening and clockwise is more.

Happy days :grin:

Hi Barry, your an inspiration to us all, I prefer the recaro seats to the frp seats, but couldn't be bothered with all the extra work. So I may stick to the black leather set I have sitting in my garage, next to the frp wheels, but no car at the moment to put them on, ha ha, thank god I'm in no rush. Lol.

Hi Richard, thanks for that. Whatever are you having done to your car as it seems to have been away forever?

Barry, I am very interested in your findings with these coilovers as I think I will have to do something about handling of my car as it is not exactly where I would want it to be.
Nice job, as always (thumbs up)

Hi Barry, rust on the floor area, and hopefully a few other bits, it's a guy I know who is doing me a favour, so he's doing it inbetween other project he's got on the go. I'm in know rush, it allows me to get the other parts I need for the transformation, James has been a huge help with that.
I reckon all pumas including the frps will all be suffering from a rotten floor if not treated, so if you have a Ford puma /frp , welcome to the rust club. Ha ha.
Great work on your car. Looking on in complete envy.

Hi Sinisa
I don't know about any handling info I will be able to give you as it's now a "driving Miss Daisy" car :). The important thing for me is to restore some ride quality as I reckon with the cheapo Ebay lowering springs (-40mm) it's virtually riding on the bump stops or going coilbound. My aim is to get it to it's current ride height without it hitting the flange under the inner wing and cutting the tyres as you know 17" wheels and lowering at the front can result in that. What's the problem with yours at the moment?

Hi Richard
I hope you're getting some new, expressed panels sills and the inner sills done at the same time. Mine were and are in good condition but if they had have been available at the time I did all my work I would have fitted them just for peace of mind.

Hi Barry, you possibly already done it but if you Google "avo coilover adjustment" the first hit should be a link to the PDF instructions for them.

Cheers Emma, I never even thought of that.
Barry

Just had a look, very useful and the damper setting is the same as I thought and Ben suggested.
Thanks again Emma :)

Hi Barry, I've not thought about the sills, if memory serves me well, it was the inner sill at the rear, where the hand brake cable is secured, that was rusty, the outer sills i'm sure where OK, I'll have a look the next time I go for a visit, but if they need done I'll get them done, in to deep to turn back. Labour of love now ha ha.

Hi Richard
As you're spending so much on your car trust me it will be worth it as if the inner sill at the handbrake cable was rusty then the sills at the rear and the inner sill joint will be rusty and crusty. If you're putting FRP rear wings on you'll not be able to get to them later without taking off the wings.
Barry

Hi mate, when I had the interior out, and remember when James found the rust, I had a look inside the wheel arch and deep down in the inner sills, It was clean and rust free, however I will have another look, best to do it right first time. How you getting on with the suspension, I suspect I'll go down this road eventually, do you think the lsd is worth the effort for a road car??

Hi Richard
No progress on the suspension as it's been really crappy weather here over the last 3 days (snow today!) As for the LSD I suppose it depends on how hard you are going to drive it but there's a few people on here who have them fitted who' I'm sure, will give you a more considered opinion than mine.

But your the guy that knows everything, well in my eyes lol, we've got freezing cold weather, no snow yet, but it's coming, as you said its just too cold to do anything, not that I've got a car to-do anything too, ha!, cheers

It's been a pretty awful month up here weather wise but I knew I needed a few things for my Puma, particularly alloy spacers to replace the M10 nuts I'd used as spacers for the seat mountings. At the last Rufforth Autojumble I'd seen some on a stall that supplied CNC bits for go-karts, I think but they were £3 apiece and I needed 10 so that was a no-no. On the stall that sells steel and aluminium I found some aluminium 25mm bar at £4 for 2 100mm lengths so I bought that.

241120163118_zps93kytuck by barry wilson, on Flickr

My Son, Andrew, is now on an Engineering course at Barnsley college so the bar was soon turned into this on a Lathe,

071220163126_zpsj5mh0qqp by barry wilson, on Flickr

FOC result....

And finally got them fitted today. This photo is taken of the top hat mounting to the inside rear of the seats where there are two bolts and spacers.

131220163129_zpspusqnwfl by barry wilson, on Flickr

Also got the engine and box out of my scrapper :)

261120163124_zpsbcmkx9jv by barry wilson, on Flickr

And got another engine project for my blue Westy, a 2.0 ltr Zetec E that needs a re-build but cheap! These engines are fetching good money now so let's hope it's re-buildable.

251120163123_zps8kvya9ml by barry wilson, on Flickr

Just catching up with your Puma progress Barry and I must say its looking bloody awesome mate,love the Millie Recaro interior Tony Archer really is the man when it comes to upholstery,keep up the great work.

Cheers Martin. Hopefully we'll see you at the café next year on one of your 2 stroke meets. Tony did the seats on my Aprilia and also some carpets for one of my Westys so I'm used to his work.
Barry

Latest posts

Back