Poomah Thunder

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trublustu said:
[post]358672[/post] I`d seriously look at finding a set of 15" wheels.
Track rubber isn`t the cheapeat and they wear out fast.
Look at the price difference of tyres!!

Also, The 17" wheel and tyre is a noticeably bigger and heavier than the 15 option.
Which makes the car accelerate slower and not corner so well...
15"s for track ;-)
Am I right in thinking that 15" wheels wouldn't fit over our brakes though? It's had the conversion to st150 discs so i'm not sure we can get 15's on

Bentleya said:
[post]358679[/post]
PumaThunder said:
[post]358667[/post]
Yes that was us, were you there in a Puma? Which one?

I'm afraid the days of me doing a trackday in a Puma are gone for now.
I was there in the Mountune'd blue mk6 Fiesta.

I went out for a couple of laps on Dunlop Direzza DG03's and I was really struggling to somestain any kind of grip. So I ended up changing over to the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's and the grip level was superb for the condition's.
Ahh I see, looked like a good bit of kit there! It was quite good fun with it so slippy, just made it slow...

You can run 15 inch wheels over the ST150 brake calipers and discs. I use 15 inch wheels on the Fiesta, much cheaper tyres than in 17 inch.

You can shave the calliper down if needed only a few mm

If your exhaust is too loud a cheap fix was chicken wire stuffed up he exhaust we've used that on V8 off roaders, kit cars and bikes in the past to keep under th DB limit. Be aware that it goes up in steps so coming down is really hard to do

Bentleya said:
[post]358719[/post] You can run 15 inch wheels over the ST150 brake calipers and discs. I use 15 inch wheels on the Fiesta, much cheaper tyres than in 17 inch.
Can I ask which ones you're using specifically? If that's the case we'll definitely look at getting some 15's

I'm running 205/50/15 in the Dunlops and using the H1 compound and 195/50/15 in the Rainsport 3's.

I'm thinking about using the 195 width tyre in the Dunlops when it comes to renewal time and possible trying the R1 compound.

Bentleya said:
[post]358768[/post] I'm using; Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's - 15 x 7 inch, ET 35.
Will have to keep an eye on the bay over the next few weeks then. Is there such a wheel measurement that will ensure they fit?

Picked up some Nankang NS2-R's yesterday, part used in the BMW Compact Cup for a practice session and a short race. Plenty of life left in them for us though! Just need some 15" alloys now...

We've now received the mondeo st200 brake setup, so we can go 280mm discs and fit 15's without having to shave calipers etc.

Managed to get carriers, calipers, discs and pads all for £80! According to another thread we just need to get a disc spacer of 3mm. Or replace discs with fiesta st150 for a direct fit.

And picked up these 15" alloys this evening. So happy with them, just need to get the tyres fitted and see how they look on the car. Thanks to @sleeman :grin:

I personally wouldn't run spacers to get discs to fit properly, you're just asking for issues. Do it properly and get a set of ST150 brake discs....

Those wheels are bright, but should look ace when fitted.
What tyres are you going for?

I've only really seen those discs on pumaspeed, any where else do them?

Going to try out the nankang ns2r tyres as above, I've read pretty good things about them and they're fairly cheap

Interesting choice on the tyre, do you know which compound they are?

It depends if you would like to have plain brake discs or grooved?

There's plenty of places which sell ST150 brake discs, as they are pretty common. I've picked out a few below for you.

Grooved discs can be bought from; Burton Power - £139, Sico-Developments - £110, M-Tec - £80.
Plain discs can be bought from; Burton Power - £87, Ford - £70, Motor Factor - £50.

I'm currently running the National Sport 8 groove brake discs from Burton Power on my Fiesta, as I needed the in a hurry and they are local to me.
But out of choice I would have chosen the C hooked discs from Sico-Developments or M-Tec.

Can't wait to see them on the car James! I've got a puma 1.7 engine cover in the same colour if anyone is interested!

Awesome info, cheers! Probably just plain discs tbh, pumas only little :grin:

Tyres are the 180 hard compound, hopefully they'll last a few days at least.

So the jacking point under the car seems awfully crumbly / soft. Anyone got any tips of what to do? Where else to Jack from? Would a garage or similar be able to weld on some chunky metal plates?

Thought we better keep this slightly up to date. Did another track day at Bedford on 20/11.

Loads of changes since the last one and car felt so good, didn't miss a beat all day! The change of tyres made a huge difference and the track dried out before lunch so we could really test them out. They actually felt sticky to the touch when we came back in so they must be doing something right!

Only thing we felt was that the pads didn't have much bite (used the oem mondeo ones that came with the calipers) so we'll be looking to upgrade. Pads are hard to find for a relatively rare 20 year old car, anyone have any ideas? Looks like ebc yellowstuff are the only option at the moment.

Latest posts

Back