Mk1 Focus RS powered Puma, now going RWD, JWRC

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you should go for Magnum Grey then. I also really dig the Medium Steel Blue that's a factory colour on Puma's.

Nitrous Blue should look really good as well. My Puma is a kind of Nitrous Blue shade except for the metal sparkles :p

XAF said:
[post]358583[/post] Aubergene all the way then. Such a gorgeous colour, love the fact it's almost black until the sun hits it

This was my initial thought..

Brian' said:
[post]358586[/post] I think you should go for Magnum Grey then. I also really dig the Medium Steel Blue that's a factory colour on Puma's.

Nitrous Blue should look really good as well. My Puma is a kind of Nitrous Blue shade except for the metal sparkles :p

I think it's the sparkle that may not suit the Puma? Yours is a solid colour isn't it Brian? Not metallic?

That's why I said Nitrous because Brians car looks so well. Light blues are becoming fashionable again :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NejccBymNL8

Or how's this an Olympic blue/darker blue selection.

tuonokid said:
[post]358593[/post] Light blues are becoming fashionable again :)
Naaah... why be "fashionable"? Be more individual, you could revive British Leyland Allegro brown for instance... pretty sure no-one else would be doing that :grin: Try the square steering wheel while you at it for the full effect? :wink:

Managed to get the cars swapped today - Aubergine one out and Silver one in.. but forgot to get photos.

Anyway here's the Aubergine one nearly stripped

The dash also came out later on, before swapping.

Got a bit carried away and wanted to check the fitment of the MK2 Focus RS brake servo..

The brake reservoir from the Puma fits on the master cylinder - result! But when fitted back onto the servo it's tight against the back so will probably make some spacers for the master cylinder. Other than that, it bolts straight on :)

Perhaps now is the time to reveal what's going on, although I don't have photos of any progress. The plan is to mount my engine and gearbox in the rear of the car, making it transverse mid-engined, RWD. I'm hoping to have a level of trim similar to a Clio V6, if not better if possible (although I can't mould new plastics, so we'll see).

Car is booked for Fab work at DJM spring next year - should be doing engine mounts and rear geometry, to give me back a rolling shell. Thought about doing it myself but I don't have the equipment to get it all spot on, and if it didn't handle right because the geo was wrong, everything else would be a waste of time.

moondustka said:
[post]358680[/post] Managed to get the cars swapped today - Aubergine one out and Silver one in.. but forgot to get photos.
....The plan is to mount my engine and gearbox in the rear of the car, making it transverse mid-engined, RWD. I'm hoping to have a level of trim similar to a Clio V6, if not better if possible (although I can't mould new plastics, so we'll see).

Car is booked for Fab work at DJM spring next year - should be doing engine mounts and rear geometry, to give me back a rolling shell. Thought about doing it myself but I don't have the equipment to get it all spot on, and if it didn't handle right because the geo was wrong, everything else would be a waste of time.

Wow... and I wasn't that far out then with my guess Ben, I got the mid-engined bit right, if not the R8 transverse :grin:

Heck of a project, can't wait to see it in the metal :eek:k:

Hi Ben
Aren't DJM the guys who did a very special Reliant Kitten? Well done mate as I was going to contact you to try and sell an MT75 box as I was sure you were going front engine rear wheel drive. :)
Barry

Djm did the 4x4 transverse ka.

With regards to the trim your not thinking enough chap! Make the parts you want out of mar as it's easier to shape and sand and even fill with filler to hide screw heads etc then make a buck and fibreglass the parts needed.... it's so easy to do or you can get someone else to do it for you

g-whizz said:
moondustka said:
[post]358680[/post] Managed to get the cars swapped today - Aubergine one out and Silver one in.. but forgot to get photos.
....The plan is to mount my engine and gearbox in the rear of the car, making it transverse mid-engined, RWD. I'm hoping to have a level of trim similar to a Clio V6, if not better if possible (although I can't mould new plastics, so we'll see).

Wow... and I wasn't that far out then with my guess Ben, I got the mid-engined bit right, if not the R8 transverse :grin:

Heck of a project, can't wait to see it in the metal :eek:k:

:thumbs:

tuonokid said:
Hi Ben
Aren't DJM the guys who did a very special Reliant Kitten? Well done mate as I was going to contact you to try and sell an MT75 box as I was sure you were going front engine rear wheel drive. :)
Barry

Yup, I think they're pretty reasonably priced too. I was thinking engine in front and RWD but it's been several times before. Wanted to go different and a bit mental + can use my existing engine and gearbox, less transmission loss too.

Wild E. Coyote said:
Well done! You are using the existing 2.0 turbo engine? Thought of taking jaguar 3.0 V6 route...?

:thumbs: I am using the RS engine and gearbox, yea

stuvy said:
Djm did the 4x4 transverse ka.

With regards to the trim your not thinking enough chap! Make the parts you want out of mar as it's easier to shape and sand and even fill with filler to hide screw heads etc then make a buck and fibreglass the parts needed.... it's so easy to do or you can get someone else to do it for you

What's mar? Are you offering to do it for me? :lol:

Here's where I'm at, with a little more progress on the Silver one. Seats and carpet out. Started poking around with the screwdriver and there are several holes, I'm not surprised mind, worst of it is round the rear arches and rear sills which is normal. The areas on the floor are normal too, it's where the sealer cracks underneath and then water sits in there and rusts upwards through the floor.

Sorry, nothing exciting yet but has to be done :)

Ben, just seen the number plate of your donor Puma. It's not from the Car People in Yorkshire originally is it? Back in the day I used to go out with a girl who had a silver Y reg Puma ending HVY...

And rusty or not, that abergine she'll still looks stunning colour wise. Wish someone would give it a home.

XAF said:
[post]358728[/post] Ben, just seen the number plate of your donor Puma. It's not from the Car People in Yorkshire originally is it? Back in the day I used to go out with a girl who had a silver Y reg Puma ending HVY...

And rusty or not, that abergine she'll still looks stunning colour wise. Wish someone would give it a home.

It has Blackpool plates on I think?

The aubergine one isn't rusty at all really, tiny bit on one arch, bit of light surface rust on the inside of the rear arches at sill level (I'm being picky here) and there is one biro sized hole by the drivers right foot, next to the sill. That is it!

The Silver one has several holes in the floor and rotten arches. One of the inner sills inside the rear quarter isn't attached anymore.. all that to sort out now.

And I agree, wish someone would give the Aubergine one a home.

stuvy said:
[post]358733[/post] I could do but I'm not cheap!

As an electrician, I'm not that cheap either, but you get what you pay for. Still something to keep in mind then. What's mar?

moondustka said:
[post]358721[/post]
What's mar? Are you offering to do it for me? :lol:
stuvy said:
[post]358733[/post]
I could do but I'm not cheap!
I think until you've explained what 'mar' is, then your cheapness or otherwise in its use is pretty well moot.

Hi Ben
Chance to get rid of the power steering now with the motor in the back. With the alignment of the Zetec E you have a great source of heated seats :grin:
Barry

Latest posts

Back