FRP #32 - Let's go back to the start...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is what I am currently using... a Goodridge 185 Straight Power Steering Adaptar, -6 x 1.5 x M14 x 1.5(185004)
Goodridge-185004.jpg

I just realised something... maybe the guy who fitted it... simply put it in the wrong way... as the right side has 4 threads... nah... it couldn't be that simple... could it...

nah... he has just ordered the wrong type... there are normal and o-ring type adapters...

I think I need a Goodridge 185 Series Adapter Fittings, -6 straight to 1/2x20 INV (185001)

185001-700x850.png

Could be wrong as there does not seem to be the white seal that goes against the pump housing...

I need sleep...

As ever... it has already been discussed online...

http://www.canadianrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14122

nothing new under the sun...

Good news...

Parker Hydrolics have saved the day... £3.59 plus postage... so i bought 2...

6MJ-6MB 9/16 Male JIC to 9/16 Male UN/UNF SAE with O-Ring

Will let ya know how it goes... I just hope I haven't knackered the pump...

So... adapters arrived today...

IMG_1888.PNG

wrong size... very annoying...

Anyone know the size of the Ford adapter for the outlet of the PAS pump... is it UN/UNF/SAE or is it BSP?

I need to order the right one first thing in the morning otherwise I am going to miss my chance to get it ready for the MOT... cutting it fine...

So... after an evening of research... I have found out that I need a JIC 6 (AN-6) to M16x1.5... will be phoning them tomorrow am and asking if they can deliver Saturday...

in other news... two more additions to the family...

IMG_1890.JPG

So...

I went to a local hydraulics and pneumatics place and explained the problem... I even took the old pump in... we cobbled together a cou0ple of adapters and came up with a solution... not pretty... but it is just to get through MOT...

Fitted it today...

IMG_1896.JPG

and... it works perfectly... for the first time in four months... I have PAS... feels like driving a very different car now... very little feedback from the road... it is going to take some to get used to it...

MOT tasks
1. Offside Rear Sill Welding - Done
2. Fix PAS System - Done
3. Sort out Emissions - Cataclean the day before the re test...

I am very happy...

Bit too late to the party here... but

Can't understand why you had so many problems. I used an M16 x 1.5 AN6 Adaptor into mine, wound it all the way down with some Loctite 5400 thread sealant. Never had any problems :?

xnbradley said:
[post]358540[/post] Looking at this picture of them... they may actually seal round the top rim of the threaded female socket and not round the top of the silver ring...

Just counted the thread on the adapter (4) and then the female socket and 4 turns would not block the hole... the male thread may not go down far enough to occlude the fluid feed hole...and so filling the space around the high pressure release valve and then traveling up into the pipe...

I think that this may be the problem... I gotta find the right adapter now that will allow me to attach the Goodridge pipe to the pump... probably knackered both pumps though... oh well...

The pressure seal is inside the nut.. :cool:

Thanks Chris... finally working now... took me a while to get there but for someone who knows almost. nothing about cars... I feel good about fixing the problem...

was also wondering about my next task... are there any cheaper callipers that I could you temporarily whilst I get my Alcons sent up to you for refurb?

Thanks

So...

just had a call from the garage... failed again... even when they have it red hot... still fails the emissions... and that is after a cataclean last night...

Also where I have sorted out the PAS... the rack is leaking loads of fluid everywhere... they have stopped the test so I don't have to pay anything...

but as the MOT runs out today... alas... #32 will be off the road for the foreseeable future... not happy...

maybe I should cut my losses... what was I thinking... I know nothing about cars...

Oh well...

Oh no.. that's unfortunate, why has it started leaking?

I guess the high emissions is either sensor or cat related.

Hey there...

I think it is leaking because it has been driven for who knows how long with no fluid circulating and has probably knackered the seals... probably need to get a new rack rather than replace seals...

Gonna have a discussion with the wife over dinner tonight as to what we gonna do... sell it and move on or to clear the garage out and start the reaoratuon... good thing I have the other puma to drive ...

peace

Hi Christian
Have you established where the rack is leaking from? If the top part of the hose has been replaced it's likely that the whole hose has been replaced so it could just be where it goes into the rack that's leaking. That should be a lot easier fix than replacing the rack. As for the emissions was the car just hot because it had been ticking over for a while or did they run it at 2-3000 rpm for a couple of mins to get the cat really hot. It might also help if you take off the MAF and give the two tiny springs a good spray with some carb cleaner.
Barry

So I am gonna give it one more try and then probably give up...

gonna get the car up on stands tomorrow... totally clean the bottom of the car... add some Power Steering Leak Stop to the fluid and see what happens...

I am going to add another cataclean and look to clean the MAF as suggested above...

rebook it in for Monday and get them to get it piping hot before test... if it passes... then great... if not... anyone want to buy an FRP... only needs a little work... :)

Latest posts

Back