FRP #32 - Let's go back to the start...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think people don't realise these sport cats just don't last as long as standard cats... even the standard 400 cell per inch cats used on everyday cars need replacing now again after 10 years or so... most of the aftermarket FRP systems use a cheap tiny 100cpi cat which is a joke, there's just no way you can get the dam thing through an emissions test properly without 'cheating it' through...

My new system uses a 200 cpi catalyst which still needs warming up to get through, but once warmed up it passes very comfortably.. :idea:

Kind Regards Chris

Today is my last stay of execution...

fortunately I had the day booked off to sort Christmas out... I stead I am sorting the car out...

I thoroughly cleaned the area where the high and low pressure hoses go Into the rack... started the engine... turned the wheel a little and then had a look... the fluid was clearly coming from the adapter where the low pressure fluid comes out of the rack...

So... I drained it all... took it apart and discovered why it had been leaking...

IMG_1931.PNG

No seal on the adapter... either at the top or the bottom... I even checked inside to see if the seal was in the rack...

IMG_1932.PNG

nope... no seal... gonna use some PTFE around the thread and use a rubber seal from the other wrong adapters that I bought previously...then add some power steering stop leak and it should be all ok...

IMG_1936.PNG

Regarding the emissions... gonna carry out an 'Intalian tune up on the way to the garage... 100-50 below red line for 5 mins... get it stinking hot...

MOT is at 4.30pm... this really is my last chance before taking her off the road... which I really don't want to do...

Forgot to say... the guys at the garage said that the welding that I had done was the best bit of welding they had ever seen... I think I chose a good welder to restore the car...

Will let ya know...

Good luck Christian.
Barry
PS no need to rev it too hard and you might overheat the cat which also stops it working as I found out on mine.

So the seal held...

unfortunately the high pressure Goodridge hose didn't... split and sprayed fluid all over the engine compartment... I think it must have been nicked by the accessory belt early in the day before I clipped it back in position...

So it's staying at the garage and I'm currently sat in McDonalds waiting for a lift from my wife and 3 boys... not a good day... she is gonna kill me...

in other news... it still failed the emissions test... even with supreme fuel... cataclean and a 44K thrown in for good measure... still hitting 0.4-0.5%... target is 0.3%... needs a new CAT...

So... where do i get one from... how much are they? how quick can i get one?

any help would be great... ASAP...

Thanks

Contact El Dude here (Chris Allison) who can help you out with a new one. Since it is a FRP the new item is needed and a regular one won't fit (which could be obtained from IanG)

xnbradley said:
[post]358893[/post]

in other news... it still failed the emissions test... even with supreme fuel... cataclean and a 44K thrown in for good measure... still hitting 0.4-0.5%... target is 0.3%... needs a new CAT...

So... where do i get one from... how much are they? how quick can i get one?

any help would be great... ASAP...

Thanks

http://www.allisonautomotive.co.uk/spares/parts-exhaust/

Note: you'll need a fitting kit too so that both ends of the center section seal properly :idea:

:thumbs:

What is this...

jacko said:
[post]39482[/post] JANSPEED; RACING PUMA OWNERS CLUB. you have to be a member to buy these but they are not asking for membership numbers to prove this. they have used the original jigs to make these and also using a janspeed stainless backbox. added bonus is that it comes with the original tailpipe.

Are these still available?

Thanks

Are you sure it's the cat, not a lambda, dirty air filter, plugs, leads, coil pack, MAF etc?

The FRP cats are very sensitive to proper emissions control. One part slightly out (like the tiny wire in the MAF) could be enough to foul the readings.

I've got a Piper cat and it's well within emissions, even when not toasty hot.

to be honest... i haven't got a clue...

I sprayed the MAF with Carb cleaner the other day... air filter looked pretty clean... no idea how to test the lambda leads... can you do that with ForScan?

I will chat though the above with the mechanic tomorrow...

Just trying to source the Goodridge hose and adapters so I can at least get it back home...

not a good day...

If you sprayed MAF with carb cleaner it is not working as it should. Carb cleaner leaves an oily surface for lubrication purposes (as carb has moving parts). After carb cleaner apply some brake cleaner to degrease it properly.
How is your idle? When cleaned with brake cleaner it should be rock steady and engine should get more responsive

So...

today I have ordered a stainless Steel mid section from Chris and a couple of hose fittings to fix the PAS hose...

heart breaking stuff owning a FRP... I just want to get her back on the road...

oh well...

xnbradley said:
[post]358929[/post] So...

today I have ordered a stainless Steel mid section from Chris and a couple of hose fittings to fix the PAS hose...

heart breaking stuff owning a FRP... I just want to get her back on the road...

oh well...
Heart breaking?...sounds more like bank breaking.NEVER LET IT BEAT YOU!!!

Re :High CO readings for MOT
Things to try are as follows:

1) have you ensured that the airfilter is clean?
2) Search for info I posted about testing the lambda sensor resistance readings of 13 ohms, If the pre heater is open circuit. (IIrc 2 the grey wires? , verified by carrying out an ohms test ,)then your idle readings & idle will be affected.http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17895&p=229512&hilit=lambda+sensor+ohms#p229512
3) Remove and clean Lambda sensor with Carb Cleaner
4) Clean the injectors, they maybe gummed up and not closing off fully and therefore weeping fuel into the engine, which can also result in high CO readings

So...

From the M to the O to the T... #032 is finally free...

New stainless steel mid section fitted... passed emissions with flying colours...

Fast Idle CO Max 0.20% - passed at 0.01%
Natural Idle CO Max 0.30% - passed T 0.05%

and this was when the engine was not hot at all...

Thanks to Chris for sorting the CAT out for me...

One of the best journeys so far... so glad I have another 12 months to restore the car to its former glory...

gonna take a rest over Christmas and will start again in the new year... maybe I need to make a list and come up with a schedule of what and when to do things...

may go for a drive tomorrow... for no apparent reason...

be good...

Latest posts

Back