Corley Turbo Project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi - sorry for the late reply!

yes car is still going strong and alot has changed i just need to fully update the project thread - i will try over the next few days. Currently running at 14PSI and estimated around 220 - 250BHP, just need a dyno run when i get time

here is the latest engine bay pic - i took the time at the start of 2016 to redesign a few things and also to show off a little more :) - i have spare manifolds and downpipes for sale if you re interested

2qkqtz5.jpg

qo6cxs.jpg

Turbo is a T25 from a SAAB,cant remember off the top of my head but i think itsa 900 or 9000 - same for the down pipe although this needed modding to fit but was a good starting point

okay so if i pick up were i got to back in March 2015:

wired in the ECU - got the car running nicely and using the car as a daily for approx 6 months. To say the car was both nippy and fun at this point was an understatement.

During the summer i got a subtle spoiler fitted and sprayed up(always wanted one of these for the Puma!) and was also able to get the car at a rolling road session with a friend and see what power i was running.

pre meet
2py10rs.jpg

n5rhvk.jpg

5as4ye.jpg

so thats 166BHP and alot of torque, not bad for 6PSI low boost, minimal parts swapped and home made mapping - that was "stage 1" of the project complete

Stage 2
at the start of 2016 i took the car off the road and went for a higher boost and started uprating a few engine parts:

spzwhg.jpg

t5j7ee.jpg

a record 4 hours to drop the engine with the help of a trusty old tyre. My parts also arrived around this time:

H beams, ARP bolts, Head Gaskets and decomp plate and paddle clutch

mmvgk3.jpg

5xmqno.jpg

check out the difference in standard con rods vs the heavy duty H rods:

o550zo.jpg

some random pics of engine build up:

68hkox.jpg

33nc586.jpg

more to come

So that's where the last of the Ford headgaskets went :p

Looks absolutly superb! Cant wait to get my hands on mine this spring for some heavy modding!!

Corley, how much for the custom manny and down pipe? Is it the downpipes thats already been modified?
Sorry question heavy, but also how have you moved the turbo to sit higher? Is this anither custom manifold you have a had made?
Cheers!

red said:
[post]359037[/post] Looking good :grin:
thanks!

XAF said:
[post]359038[/post] So that's where the last of the Ford headgaskets went :p
haha didn't realise there was a shortage surprised me how much they cost!- but at least it went to a good cause :)

lex_pilmer said:
[post]359041[/post] Looks absolutly superb! Cant wait to get my hands on mine this spring for some heavy modding!!

Corley, how much for the custom manny and down pipe? Is it the downpipes thats already been modified?
Sorry question heavy, but also how have you moved the turbo to sit higher? Is this anither custom manifold you have a had made?
Cheers!
i'll send you a PM mate

yes car is still going strong and alot has changed i just need to fully update the project thread - i will try over the next few days. Currently running at 14PSI and estimated around 220 - 250BHP, just need a dyno run when i get time

mmvgk3.jpg

Having had another read through this one thing don't understand: if you made custom conrods (sensible and needed thing!) why didn't you just order them shorter by a milimeter or 1.5 mm to avoid the decompression plate?

Not to be mistaken, I like the build a lot!

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]359128[/post] yes car is still going strong and alot has changed i just need to fully update the project thread - i will try over the next few days. Currently running at 14PSI and estimated around 220 - 250BHP, just need a dyno run when i get time

mmvgk3.jpg

Having had another read through this one thing don't understand: if you made custom conrods (sensible and needed thing!) why didn't you just order them shorter by a milimeter or 1.5 mm to avoid the decompression plate?

Not to be mistaken, I like the build a lot!

the conrods are not custom made just for me, its from a company that does forged 1.7 parts - the conrods should be paired with the forged pistons that lower the compression. I did some thinking and decided the two weak parts of the engine/transmission are the conrods and the gearbox, the conrods i could upgrade :) but the gearbox - nope!

So i have capped or limited the amount of boost and power at 14PSI and did not bother with the pistons, i am confident if i had the forged pistons aswell and the gearbox could take it i could go higher :)

i have one more build update to post hopefully this weekend i can upload the were i am now

Great project Corley. I really like the subtle look of that spoiler - looks like it was meant to be on the Puma. What type/make is it?

just a cheapy one off ebay - always wanted a spoiler for the Puma and decided when it was turbo'd it deserved one :)

the spoilers do finish off the back of the car IMO

okay so final post and the car/project is up to date

now i had rebuilt the engine with uprated conrods, uprated clutch and also lowered the compression i cracked up the turbo boost from 6PSI to 16PSI! to say i was happy and the car was rapid would be and understatement! but it wasn't to last long. After 2 weeks of maximum power :) the turbo began screaming loudly when under boost - i thought i had killed my turbo

i took everything apart, the exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe, oil feeds etc and discovered this:

20ifd4h.jpg

so you can see the exhaust manifold to turbo gasket had blown!

i ordered an uprated copper gasket and whilst waiting took the opportunity to totally redesign everything, turbo position, downpipe and intercooler route - i'll let the pics do the talking of some of the work in progress:

sctkkh.jpg

most important part of the build: epic saxophone

2w4fakg.png

2rxa2r9.jpg

new downpipe tacked next to my older one that was used for my behind engine turbo position
fci8ed.jpg

new downpipe below:
2q0u0lz.jpg

and of course the final product

qo6cxs.jpg

cars been running since Feb 2016 in this configuration at 14PSI

next steps now are to get a dyno run and compare the power to the lower boost setup later this year - comments and feedback welcome

I like your setup very much. I mean the pipeing over instead below the engine. Looks very professional setup.
If I see right, the battery is not in engine compartment anymore? Was that by force of turbo conversion, or purely your decision?
Also, I am looking at your turbo setup. Why didn't you turn the turbo for 180 degrees to be able to avoid the saxophone inlet pipe to it? I guess there is some reason, but on top of my head I can't see one? Could it be that the downpipe would then hit the servopump necessitating this orientation?
How much of a clearance there is beween the pipes and bonnet?
Don't take my questions as sign of criticism, I am really admiring the job and since I constantly feel a distant need to the same (until I see the petrol prices) I am curious about all the details...

Very nice indeed. How is the clutch holding?

Wild E. Coyote said:
[post]359457[/post] I like your setup very much. I mean the pipeing over instead below the engine. Looks very professional setup.
If I see right, the battery is not in engine compartment anymore? Was that by force of turbo conversion, or purely your decision?
Also, I am looking at your turbo setup. Why didn't you turn the turbo for 180 degrees to be able to avoid the saxophone inlet pipe to it? I guess there is some reason, but on top of my head I can't see one? Could it be that the downpipe would then hit the servopump necessitating this orientation?
How much of a clearance there is beween the pipes and bonnet?
Don't take my questions as sign of criticism, I am really admiring the job and since I constantly feel a distant need to the same (until I see the petrol prices) I am curious about all the details...

Very nice indeed. How is the clutch holding?

hey its fine, i could talk about Pumas all day :)

i moved the battery towards the start of the project, i think i could do the build with the battery still in the engine bay but it would be very tight and just annoy me!

i moved the turbo is this orientation on purpose so the turbo boost pipe would go over the engine, i i had it 180 degree it would straight down the engine like my original build and i wanted this to be different. the boost pipes and bonnet are fairly close but it all shuts and fits fine.

Thread revival, if the turbo was 180 degrees rotated the downpipe would hit/ be very close to the power steering pump

It was the easiest route mark and myself could agree with

Going to miss this car :(

corley said:
hi - sorry for the late reply!

here is the latest engine bay pic - i took the time at the start of 2016 to redesign a few things and also to show off a little more :) - i have spare manifolds and downpipes for sale if you re interested

2qkqtz5.jpg

qo6cxs.jpg

Turbo is a T25 from a SAAB,cant remember off the top of my head but i think itsa 900 or 9000 - same for the down pipe although this needed modding to fit but was a good starting point
Hi i am turboing my puma have garret turbo off a saab downpipe aswell and am wondering if you still have one how much do you want for a turbo manifold?

:p :eek:k:

Jason

Latest posts

Back