My Puma.. Maximum Track Attack!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No chance.... How ever it looks at Autosport show will be pretty much how it goes to Rockingham. I'm hoping I might have the Tarox brakes on by then though.

The engine will be a bit of long process, planning a bullet proof zetec turbo conversion with the emphasis on maximum drive-ability rather than power figures. Will also be building the gearbox properly as well. Lucy and me are currently in the process of buying a much bigger house with a garage so I'm trying to cram as much spending in before I have to stop and spend it on new sofa's!

If I can complete the engine build in 18 months then I'l be happy with that, the car will remain with the 1700 in the meantime... not worth ripping it apart until I really have to and I still want to use it.

I'm finally able to update as to whats going on at the moment with the Puma. As part of a magazine article I'm writing for Track Car Performance the car is having a full aero kit design, tested & built by BYC Designs - http://bycdesigns.co.uk/

Mark of BYC has modeled the car and ran the standard car through his CFD software to highlight where the best position is for the rear wing to sit and be mounted.
Ford Puma CFD simulation STATIC AIR PRESSURE_resized by Jay Hardy, on Flickr
Ford Puma CFD simulation VELOCITY TURBULANT_resized by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

The next stage was to get mock up the rear wing mounts, these will be adjustable so I can change the angle of the rear wing to suit individual circuit demands.
20161207_150921_resized by Jay Hardy, on Flickr
20161207_150837_resized by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

As part of the kit a set of the BYC side skirts have been fitted, along with the wing mounts these will all be powder coated satin black.
20161207_150754_resized by Jay Hardy, on Flickr
20161207_150722_resized by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

The car is still in the build stage at the moment, Once Mark sends me the next batch of pictures through I'l get them uploaded, I'l be doing a bit of testing with the wing to check how much downforce it generates using BYC's own load cell system.

Mark has also done a little video that shows the CFD program doing its work.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55cEEGjOegc[/youtube]

Before I dropped the car off with BYC I noticed that the rear arches have started to rot.... AGAIN! So to end the problem I'm going to fit wide fibreglass rear arches but it will be something that has never been fitted a Puma before so expect something a bit different.

As and when the increase in power comes from the 2.0 turbo I'l also move to a bigger wheel and tyre package, probably 17's with sticky rubber, this will also help to fill out the bigger arches. Nothing set in stone yet but I am thinking these...
recce178fblack-v1-380-380.jpg

Lots planned and a lot currently going on.... In other news I've just bought a bigger house with garage so I'l finally have a space to work on the car thats warnm & dry!

Jay, I'm a little bit lost for words.... This is all getting a tad bonkers and I absolutely love it.

With your engine, what was your motivation for opting for a Zetec and not something a little newer and possibly lighter, like a 2.0 or 2.3 Duratec?

The move to 17 inch wheels seems like a odd choice. I can see the advantage if the Puma weighed more, but I'm assuming what's everything is done, you'll be around the 1ton mark?
What gains are you expecting from having a bigger wheel, apart from being more visually pleasing?
I've come down from 17's on the Fiesta, I'm running 15's and it's more stable, the tyres are cheaper and the rotational mass has decreased. Also, with the AST's coilovers i'm only able run 15's.

Also, what rubber do you intend to go for?

I look forward to catching up with you in March, hopefully I'll be on track in the Fiesta - but it's currently a shell plus 1000's of little bits.

Hey,

Thanks, the car is starting to get a little bit mad, but as I've pretty much fitted every bolt on part for a puma I felt the need to do something a bit different..... Its about time this car had a turbo!

In terms of picking the 2.0 zetec it came down to just how easily available the engines and parts are, I was going to go duratec but a zetec engine, gearbox, driveshafts (basically the front end of a mondeo) came up for a price I couldn't really refuse. That and the fact that a friend of mine is a Zetec Turbo god and I know that with his knowledge and the right parts I can build a bullet proof, 100% driveable engine with around 300bhp. Which is the aim.

The reason for the move to 17's is in part to be more visually pleasing but will also become appaerent once the bodywork on the car has had a bit of a make over, I'm looking at wider arches all round but not FRP, it will be a first for a Puma, but this is all a little bit further down the line. I terms of rubber I'l use Nankang AR-1's. I use them on my 15's and are awesome. Easily on a par with 888's.
The other reason for 17's.. brakes, what I've got coming probably wont fit behind a 15 inch wheel.

I'l also be switching to KW variant 3 coilovers as well, the AP's I've used are not bad for a budget but its time to get serious now.

2017 will be a year of parts gathering, some I've got, some are on order. Im currently in the process of sorting a 6 pot calliper a 2 piece disc setup with Tarox. Just bracket design and they'll be sorted and I'm speaking with a local company about producing a single piece radiator and intercooler unit.

Really cool Jay! 2017 is going to be a great your for you then! 300bhp in a stripped out Puma, madness!
Currently there's a set of KW variant 3's for sale on Facebook. The guy is asking £450 for it. So might be useful to you?

Looking forward to your progress Jay! Looks like it's going to be a really serious car once you're done.

I'm hoping its going to work out nicely. I did spot those KW's but they we're wrong fitment.

I'm hoping to get the car back from BYC in the next few days so I can get it cleaned up and looking good for Autosport International show in Jan.

Got a bit bored yesterday so I unwrapped this little box I've had for a few weeks now.

Untitled by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

Just wanted to inspect the quality of the vibra-technics engine mounts I bought and see what additional hardware they came with. I'm going to order a new set of bolts for the gearbox torque link as one of mine is quite heavily rounded.

In other news I'm picking the car up this weekend so I'l some of the completed rear wing and side skirts.

Not noisier as they dont make a noise but I imagine the engine vibrations will resonate a bit more being as its a close to solid mounting the engine as you can get. The standard mounts have pretty much had it so race spec it is!

They make two versions. The competition which they advise to use only on track and the fast road. My brother has the fast road(set of 3) in his puma and they make the vibration from engine a little more pronounced but definitely bearable. As an added bonus the front end of the car feels more connected/rigid, the gear change more precise and the throttle response more direct.
Quite pricey but well worth it.

I went for the race spec ones, being as I barely use the car on the road I think I can handle the compromise. I'm looking forward to seeing how much difference they actually make.

Obviously i meant that the vibrations from the engine are more pronounced not less (i made a mistake in my previous post-now edited).
For a track car i would also definitely go for the race spec ones.

Looking forward to seeing how this project evolves.

Its going to evolve quite rapidly on Saturday when I finally get the car back home, big wing and side skirts will be properly revealed.

Was going to be a bit of a smart arse before I read the comments below saying; orange paint dot for race, blue for track/fast road. I only know that as I emailed the company after receiving my used set as I didn't know which I had lol (blue for me)

This project really is reaching new heights now! will make mine look real amateur/budget soon but it is what it is :pose2:

It is going to get a little bit out of hand but I think its time to do it and I've been thinking of doing it for years.

Parts gathering is the first job, already bagged an alloy radiator for it. On the hunt for a turbo to use with the zetec engine now.

In other news Lucy and myself have just sold out first house which means the new build we've been looking at is now ours... Garage for the Puma!! Get in!!

Oh and the wing and side skirts will be available to buy direct from BYC Design very soon. Mine is the prototype before they go into full production. So if you like what you see you'll be able to buy.

Really looking forward to see how the sideskirts turn out, imo there are no 'proper' sideskirts you can buy for the ford puma. They all look like somthing out of need for speed underground to be fair. I think this won't be the case with yours as they are really track focused, which I like.

Keep up the good work :eek:k:

PumaJay said:
[post]359168[/post]
The reason for the move to 17's is in part to be more visually pleasing but will also become appaerent once the bodywork on the car has had a bit of a make over, I'm looking at wider arches all round but not FRP, it will be a first for a Puma, but this is all a little bit further down the line. I terms of rubber I'l use Nankang AR-1's. I use them on my 15's and are awesome. Easily on a par with 888's.
The other reason for 17's.. brakes, what I've got coming probably wont fit behind a 15 inch wheel.

15's with sensible rubber dont look bad even on frp arches.
20150418_164347.jpg

Plenty of space around frp alcons too:
20150629_180845.jpg

20150629_180820.jpg

Youd have to be running a really big caliper or disc if you cant get comps on with some spacers.

Will be sticking with the decision to go with 17's I have a vision in my mind of how the car could end up looking so I'd like to get as close to that as possible. The aim is for the looks of a scaled down GT racer.

For me the 15's look lost under those big arches, the FRP needs 17's to give the appearance it deserves.

In other news I've found the turbo im going to be using for the Zetec engine... which reminds me, I still need to go and collect it!

At least you can squeeze in 330mm brakes behind 17's though! So stopping power shouldn't be an issue

Latest posts

Back