Dedicated Track Car Progress Thread

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good progress. Do you have the part no for those top mounts? I'm putting an order in with compbrake very soon and top mounts are on the shopping list.

Nicely done! Now let's see how it turns out on track!
Maybe the next who thinks of getting these (me included) could request from compbrake to make a top mount with 45mm diameter to avoid the hole widening.

I see compbrake do rear fixed top mounts too, again they look to be a similar issue? Would it be worth buying two sets of the same parts?

I`m going to speak with compbrake again tomorrow jay.
Finding the specific spec for this top mount and making it quite public.
I`m also wanting to talk about the rear top mounts too. In for a penny...

I had plans to take it to a local kart track doing some public tracktime today. but i was nowhere near good to go.
So after an epic trek to look at a Mk1 transit recovery truck (broke my heart saying no!) I got on with the build.

The second topmount took half the time of the first (I discarded the dremel)
The suspension slotted back together and after assembly (as per instructions) I addressed the alignment.

This is the first time I`ve used these pins on the Puma, and it`s straightforward (up to a point)
The pin fastens into the hole in he subframe just near the wheel arch.

The pin should then `slot` into matching holes on the body.
This is where it goes awry.
Although the tool does list the mk4 fiesta. There must be differences in the Puma, as the pins wont fit into the body holes.
So I`ve had to get very clever using the pins and their taper to align the whole front of the car
It`s a damn site closer than before the rebuild. hope it`s near enough...

You can see the hole sizes too.

The only other little job I had lined up on the front end was to replace a water pipe which I`d had to do a emergency repair to at Angelsey in August.
The upper expansion tank hose had come loose and rubbed against the alternator pulley.
The repair was simple but effective. Roofers flashband and cable ties.

Replacement pipe is a better, shaped item. nowhere near the alternator.
The car (of course) started on the button and I can safely say for the extensive surgery it`s had.
There`s hardly anything to see. :?

It`s difficult to tell if it sits lower though there a 10-20mm more shock absorber stem, above the mount.

With my entire work list completed I finished off the day thropwing a couple of new stickers on.
Including this one...

With the front end pretty much how I want it, I`ve turned my attention to the rear..

I removed a rear top mount and measured the rear turret.
It`s a similar thing to the front but much bigger, with a 70mm hole.
The guy I need to speak to at Compbrake is expecting to become a father any day soon, so isn`t all that easy to get hold of at the moment...
I`ll be speaking to him soon enough about what bushes fit the rears and the correct order number for the front item.

While opening the boot, I struggled with a very sticky lock so decided it was high time to trim this little luxury.
I also dug out the angle grinder to chop out the internal pressing of the boot lid.
I also hacked off the last few back seat brackets while I was at it.

This has removed 3 kg from the back of the car.
As a majority of the weight saving has been under the bonnet, this should help to balance things out.
My tailgate now weighs in at just ynder 15kg and doesnt look too untidy

Pair of spring latches in the post...

good work matey! have you cut out the inner panel for the boot as well to save a kg or more?

probably get the biggest holesaw you can get on some of those other inner panels to lose more maybe?

I finally spoke to Compbrake.
The catalogue number for the front top mounts I have fitted is CMB-0198.
I'll be in there Saturday to find out what is best to fit in the rear.

That would be these then for the fronts? Audi S2/80 parts.

http://www.compbrake.com/product/audi-s2-80-alloy-front-top-mounts/

Just out of interest what was with the issue with the ones listed for a Puma

http://www.compbrake.com/product/ford-puma-fixed-top-mounts-pair/

Yes. They're the smallest they do.
The one's listed for the Puma (there are two) looked all wrong.
One type was the same style as these but huge.
The other may have fitted inside the wing but looked all wrong when we measured it up.

**EDIT**

I think it`s quite possible that the part listed is for the rears. 70mm hole!

As for my cage choice Sleeman
I won't be going for an off the shelf cage.
I know a couple of cage fabricators who will build me a MSA spec cage.
By getting a custom fabrication. I can fine tune the design just how I want it.
Should be cheaper than the £1150+vat that Custom Cages want (others will be similar prices)

Another little "can't be missed" goodie has just come my way...
Once the postie calls, I'll spill the beans...

Ah fair enough thought you might be in contact with the same guy I was about to get a roll cage done by alachi57 he's known as

The original compbrake top mounts for puma were designed by this guy.
http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150598&page=3
you see the design in solidworks and then in the next pages the making of them. Compbrake had those in their site. When Stu found out that they wouldn't fit compbrake changed the photo in their site with this
http://www.compbrake.com/product/ford-puma-fixed-top-mounts-pair/
that shows the top mounts that stu fit.

Maybe you could ask them if the original rear top mounts for the puma fit to avoid searching for another type. The turbosport thread that i attached shows the design of them.

Alex

A little progress and a little explanation.

A while back I threw on a strut brace set but not long after had to remove the front upper when I changed my brake servo and master cylinder.
The one I had (in a lovely anthracite colour) was fouling the brake fluid reservoir!
I`ve had my eye out for one which kinks the other way, over the servo.
Lo and behold, a brand new one has washed up on my shore.
I`ll be fitting this at weekend.

This brings us onto the topmounts
and the strut brace has helped me show just why I went for the alternative.

I have borrowed a couple of the original designers photos.
So credits to "Jason33"
Big respect for the work you put in, but..

While I was at Compbrake we measured up the unit Jason designed.
It wasn`t a neat fit.
The top of the Puma turret is `flared`
you can see the shape on the strut brace end hoop. Which is a snug fit.

The mounts jason designed are flat and only be touching the bodywork around the very edge. Not a flush fit.

The bolts on this pic are all stained as the heads are tightened at a different pitch to the threads.

The chaps at Compbrake said I`d need to fabricate a whole new turret, by which time I could fit anything out of their huge range. (adjustable etc)

Here are pics of the underside of both fittings

I think there is flaw in Jasons design. Sorry mate.
The rear mount I will be checking out with the car on hand to make sure I get the most suitable.

With the suspension pretty much dealt with,
I turned my attention to a track `consumable`

Tyres!!

A few of my mate`s use Toyo 888`s and althoughg they grip well, They seem to get through tyres like there`s no tomorrow.
I have used Kumho V70`s, Nankang NS2r 120`s and Dunlop Dz03G`s, as well as a few road tyres.
The Kumho`s probably had the best grip but the Dunlops were 99% as good but with miles better wear rates.
So I plumbed for a full set of new un`s. (the last lot were bargain ex-race tyres)

I`ve had a word with my fitters and they`ll be going onto rims tomorrow.
This would normally be my headline purchase before the new season.

Except...

While wandering through ebays offerings I stumbled across this little beauty at a price I couldn`t miss.

For those who don`t recognise it. It`s a LMS180 inlet plenum from Lightening Motorsports.
I have a S1600 plenum which was to be an ongoing project to get up and running.
This might not give quite the same levels of performance, but bolts straight on (more or less)

I`ve seen a dyno chart from a chap who ran with a very similarly tuned motor to mine.
The curve without the inlet gave him just over 140 bhp. With the LMS inlet giving nearer 155.

I will find where I`m up to on the 5th March (this will deffo be fitted by then)
and the day after it`ll be getting a good run in at Cadwell on my first trackday of the year.

It`s cost me a kings ransom, but the car will (hopefully) be in another class to where it was last time I turned a wheel in Anger in August.

Busy weekend ahead!

Very nice looking inlet mate only not the best quality so be careful if wanting to up the power further, my mate Steve (Steavie - PerformancePuma) tried one on his n/a 1.7 puma forged internals and LM5's, only dyno'd 160bhp unfortunately and blew a big hole in his LMS180 along with it!

Latest posts

Back