Stolen Puma's

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2

Hi,

The title is slightly misleading. I have been thinking about this topic for a while. My question is how theft proof is the Puma? So I thought would start a thread to see what experiences PP members have had and that will give some indication as to how good the Puma security is. I await comments with interest.

Regards,
Richard.

Hi Richard
As a thief if you want it to run again without a load of hassle you would have to nick the key as well so with having an alarm, double locking and chipped keys it's probably as thief proof as most moderns.
Barry

Hi i still use an old disc lock on my puma which ive had for years so i hope the sight of that puts them off my puma they would have to drill right through the lock so i guess the hassle would put them off.

Sufficiently good that they're less attractive than most else on the road.

None of the security measures are particularly infallible on their own but its obviously enough - thefts are quite rare.

Well probably seeing that the airbags are out of date and may no longer work, better off removing them and replace with a snap off boss kit from B&G or any other make?

As long as the light is not on then it's fine. I.e remove the bulb in the dash. There's steering wheels that look like they have air bags like the momo evo. It's one more way the thieves can't take the car if they can't steer it

It's not, the MOT rules state that an airbag that has been obviously removed or defective is a fail and the warning light must work properly.

Section 5 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/585905/mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-and-7.pdf

I wonder if many people had their spare wheel pinched - possibly not as they were never alloys?

A mate of mine had this happen twice to his Ford Ka back in the day when they were launched - there was an inherent flaw in the design and all too easy for the spare to be 'liberated' from underneath... I suppose these days even run of the mill cars have alloys so maybe these days are gone.

I think it's a very good question, Richard - but I'll confess to not knowing the answer. I pondered it myself when my remote Key stopped working so was just using the blade. I've never had much faith in these old Ford keys since my KA was broken into and the radio stolen (as well as my expensive Police sunglasses :'( ) - they got in by simply slamming a screwdriver into the driver's door lock and twisting. If (by any chance) these cars start to actually become a bit more collectible then it may be something I'm going have to think about more seriously. As it is, whenI visit friends in a pretty unsavoury part of Manchester I take my DiscLock just in case and leave nothing on show. Thankfully, the days of having car stereos nicked seem to be long gone, and I don't use any sat nav stuff, so hopefully I'll be OK.

Latest posts

Back