5 digit odometer

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelitoGt

hello everyone i searched for a bit about the odometer of pumas and i cant find anywhere how to know how much miles/km have the car done and why the odometer of puma comes only with 5 digits can someone explain plz how can i know how much miles/km have my car done in the odometer it shows "40000"

P.s sorry if there is an answer but i searched and i cant find it anywhere thanx on advance ! :) :grin:

There is no way on the older analogue odometers. The later digital ones had 6 digits.

The only way you might know is MOT(or equivalent) or service history.

You can try checking other tell tale signs such as steering wheel and pedals, electric window buttons etc. If they look new, then most probably 40k; if they look work, then probably 140k; and if they look destroyed, then 240k.

I know it's not an exact science, but it can give you a good idea.

One of the Puma's I looked at before buying mine, by the signs I said above, I guessed the it to be 237k (or a very beaten 137k) when the owner kept saying it was only 37k :roll:

thnx guys for your answers :grin:

but if you think it its kind dumb from the ford to put a 5 digit odomoter anyway thnx again ! :)

They didn't expect their cars in the 80's and 90's to last more than 100,000 miles :grin: :grin: :grin:

That only works for UK cars though. I know I'm assuming too but I believe they aren't in the UK.

I'm not sure where the OP is from, but recording kilometers on the MOT (ITV here) in Spain for example, only started in 2012.

by alfie74 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:07 am

good job they have been proved wrong, mines on 142k miles
yeah thnk god mine has to be at about 240k km its in pretty good condition for the money i bought it but burns some oil thats why i think its on 240 k and not in 140k :grin:

AngelitoGt said:
[post]360022[/post]
by alfie74 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:07 am

good job they have been proved wrong, mines on 142k miles
yeah thnk god mine has to be at about 240k km its in pretty good condition for the money i bought it but burns some oil thats why i think its on 240 k and not in 140k :grin:
Mine burnt more oil than petrol when I bought it at 89K miles - it's down to care of ownership not necessarily mileage.

However seeing as it's in KM, 240K=149K miles, 140K=87K miles and 40K=25K miles. Going off the 'average' mileage for Pumas, being an analogue dash (pre-1999) it most likely is 240000KM

Only around 120,000 miles on mine, which I’m sure is correct from the history. Mine is on the digital odometer, though, so a bit easier to keep track of. Good advice from JAC about checking internal wear and tear. Sadly, the issue with the Puma is that the infamous steering wheels look like they’ve done a few million miles when the car is still pretty fresh! :lol: Regarding oil usage, mine, like an old alcoholic that occasionally falls off the wagon, it goes through periods of sipping quite a bit of the oily stuff - only to return to a vehicular-kind of sobriety and not use any for months at a time. Still love the car though.

yeah its like an old lady its cranky but i loved anyway its my first car so i have to take care off it . but for a car like puma i think its pretty reliable no serious problems until now and i hope to keep going like its going right now !! im happy at least that its a " common" problem burning some oil i started being scary the last time i kind of measured it burned 1 liter oil on 1000 km ! :grin: :grin: :? :? :? :?

Latest posts

Back