Mk1 Focus RS powered Puma, now going RWD, JWRC

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wakey isn't that bad. Depending on the level of your build it something that could work for both of us as iv had 3 cars mag featured, show winners and a concours winner from my old work too!

stuvy said:
Sorry chaps I missed this.

Mar is autocorrect for mdf!!

Not sure about MDF to be honest - it's quite heavy! I need it to be as light as possible around the engine.

tuonokid said:
Hi Ben
Chance to get rid of the power steering now with the motor in the back. With the alignment of the Zetec E you have a great source of heated seats :grin:
Barry

Do you think? I did look at getting a manual rack (Mk4 fiesta) but I then decided to keep power steering. I'm going to put A/C back in too :cool:

Yes, because of the flow of the engine, behind the seats might be quite hot. Really the flow is the wrong way round. However, what is good is that this engine tipped forward which will be better for weight distribution.

Also, while I remember, anyone know what to do when the VIN number has rusted out.. i.e. the letters have turned into holes :?

moondustka said:
[post]358782[/post] Also, while I remember, anyone know what to do when the VIN number has rusted out.. i.e. the letters have turned into holes :?

Weld over the hole! As long as you've the plate on the dash it's all legal. Same happened to mine and just cut out the rusted vin and had it plated over

Hi Ben
The power steering will be too much without an engine to weigh it down, you'll get the full feel of the road without it and less to go wrong (look at the length of hoses you'd need).
Barry

moondustka said:
[post]358781[/post]
stuvy said:

Not sure about MDF to be honest - it's quite heavy! I need it to be as light as possible around the engine.

I might very well be wrong about this but I think Stuvy meant using the MDF for creating patterns of the pieces you want and then forming fibreglass pieces from bucks of those patterns?

Mind, if he did mean just using MDF for the pieces then can I suggest some nice laminate flooring instead of carpeting to go with it :lol:

^^ That's what I assumed once the mar bit was cleared up. Create it in MDF then make it out of Fibreglass

Much easier is to use expanded polyurethane blocks which are then gelcoated. Polyurethane is soooo easy to sand, you can cut it (no need for sawing through) and after gelcoating it is as good as it can get for glassing

tuonokid said:
Hi Ben
The power steering will be too much without an engine to weigh it down, you'll get the full feel of the road without it and less to go wrong (look at the length of hoses you'd need).
Barry

I was thinking I would have to slow the pump down somehow - bigger pulley maybe, but its already quite big.

Length of hose shouldn't be a problem, I was also thinking that I may not need the cooling loop if I run aluminium pipes down the car as they will do a similar job.

I just don't want the steering to be heavy at slow moving speeds. There will be the weight of fuel at front, with radiators and coolant. But I guess this will be approx. 50-60kg together.

Steering didn't seem too light before with less weight than the Focus. If I don't put it in maybe I'll still put fixings for pipes in down the car.

g-whizz said:
moondustka said:
[post]358781[/post]
stuvy said:

I might very well be wrong about this but I think Stuvy meant using the MDF for creating patterns of the pieces you want and then forming fibreglass pieces from bucks of those patterns?

Mind, if he did mean just using MDF for the pieces then can I suggest some nice laminate flooring instead of carpeting to go with it :lol:

Oh I see :oops:

red said:
^^ That's what I assumed once the mar bit was cleared up. Create it in MDF then make it out of Fibreglass

Wild E. Coyote said:
Much easier is to use expanded polyurethane blocks which are then gelcoated. Polyurethane is soooo easy to sand, you can cut it (no need for sawing through) and after gelcoating it is as good as it can get for glassing

I may have to do some research into this when the time comes!

That is what I meant chaps. I'm not a fan of using foam but each to there own

Got these the other week..

And had this filled in, as I won't need it :)

Nearly ready to go to DJM. Just need to get a blacktop 2.0 dummy engine.

Can't wait for this project to get going Ben, it's going to be amazing!

Wild E. Coyote said:
Wow Ben! That is really something. Just was thinking about your project the other day and how a Jag V6 might suit it :wink:

If I hadn't invested so much time and money into the Mk1 FRS engine I may have gone a different route, but it will still more more than sufficient and it's standard mounting position will help me :)

tuonokid said:
Hi Ben
Nice panels but the rears will take some fixing on.
Barry

Yes, certainly, they are supposed to be riveted and bonded on around the edges.

XAF said:
Can't wait for this project to get going Ben, it's going to be amazing!

Thanks, progress is going to be slow as lots of house work to be done this year, but hopefully will speed up come winter time again.

grayfox said:
'Won't be needing it' - Love it :-D

I'll need one but not there :wink:

PumaJay said:
Ok... Game changer!

Can't wait to see progress on this.

Could do with just some more time and money! But couldn't we all :grin:

Shell has sold now - without bumpers for the moment.

Anyway.. finally got some progress. Car is pretty much stripped and finally went to DJM on Tuesday.

Picked up a dummy engine a while ago for them to use and mount in the back together with my gearbox.

Now decided to use FRS hubs, shocks and driveshafts at the rear to keep as many off the shelf items as possible.

New control arms at the rear will be made with new mounting points.

Front end will also be adjusted to take into account the different weight distribution.

Not much exciting going on at the moment but should be something interesting when it starts getting cut up :lol:

Latest posts

Back