Puma 1400 Rally Build

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi yes the Volvo was rear wheel drive - big old girl always trying to get away from us & succeeded several times. She saw us through an RAC Rally in 1984 though back in the days when it was possible for a clubman to take part- showing age now! Will dig out a photo if you're interested.

Anyway back to the present - Targa Rallies were introduced last year & they are basically the special tests part of an Endurance Rally without the road rally bit involving maps etc. Wethersfield for example gives around 16 tests of between 1& 2 miles for a £50 entry fee - the regs are out now if you visit Chelmsford MC website. The route is basically tulips involving passing through sets of cones, having stop/go boards, passage controls & boards all designed to keep the average speed low whilst having to really go for it to be competitive! Good test for car driver & navigator.

We went to spectate on another event, the Exmoor Targa, last weekend that had 4 runs up the Porlock Toll Road & sections in Crown Forestry land with an 8 miler at Croydon Hill near Minehead - all used in the Somerset Stages rally. Targas seem to be the RACMSA best kept secret! but they're incredibly good value & a load of fun. Think I'll start a thread after Wethersfield.

Cheers Darrell

Wow I bet that was an experience. I may well have been spectating the event you entered! Was it the Lombard then? I remember it running in kielder forrest, Chatsworth, Trentham gardens etc, but I don't know if I am mixing up some of the routes from different years. Yeah it would be great to see some pictures.

Targa rallies look like great fun and at a good price too! Are there any safety requirements?

Like you build mate! simmilar to mine. Looks smart, tastefully made :grin:

14067737_1220316588002349_5521701539242257888_o.jpg

Picture from last Friday at the North West Stages Rally in Blackpool, waiting for the sun to go down to start the rally in the dark....

Was anyone else there??

We made it through the night stages on the Friday night and halfway through Saturday but unfortunately retired on stage 15 with suspension damage after hitting a big hole on a 90 bend :-(

IMG_0027_zpszzv1al2s.jpg

Hi,you mentioned that you have ford puma s1400 preparation manual? Know maybe where to download it or where to buy it? Searching through net but nothing solid came out.

Latest posts

Back