Possible wheel bearing issue

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravengurlxx

So my issue is that every time I speed up in my Puma, Kiara, I get a loud rumbling sound under the bonnet and I can feel a violent trembling in the foot pedals. Also the steering wheel vibrates more than usual, and this happens when I go over 50mph... It's gone down from 60mph.
As a driver whose had wheel bearing before, this is typical, but Kiara is the biggest car I've owned, therefore costs have been bigger.
Anyone give me an educated estimate as to how much wheel bearing tweaks will cost?
Thanks all!

Hi
It could be a number of things from your description ie inner driveshaft bearing, cv joint so rather than trying to give an estimate I would say your best bet is to take it to a TRUSTED local garage have them take a look and give you an estimate.
Barry
PS if it's as bad as it sounds I would refrain from driving it until the garage has had a look.

Prop it up an an axle and spin the wheel, does it sound like grinding? Is there any play when you push back and forth?

My thoughts are with Tuono on first impression...

Although in slightly different circumstances I had a similar problem on my Puma after I lowered the suspension. The car would vibrate fairly aggressively when I accelerated hard but it was from standing start or roll-on up to around 50mph. Before lowering the suspension everything was fine and I guess it just made the problem visible after.

I wasn't at all sure if it was the CV joints so to hopefully save money misdiagnosing it and buying new parts for every possibility I simply bought 2 full second hand driveshafts with CV joints intact on both ends from a local dismantler to try first as that was the most likely suspect after eliminating wheel balancing/brake discs/bearings. Luckily that cured my problem as thankfully those parts must have been in a better condition even though they looked worse :lol:

When I removed my old ones the passenger side CV joints were shot to hell.

On a side note, if you haven't had the front bearings replaced in your ownership or a long time I'd get them done anyway as it's a fairly inexpensive job anyway for piece of mind.

If the vibration is more evident on full throttle at max torque rpm (around 3500-4000) then as tuono wrote it's probably an inner joint. Classic puma problem I've replaced two in mine.

yippeekiay said:
[post]361201[/post]

On a side note, if you haven't had the front bearings replaced in your ownership or a long time I'd get them done anyway as it's a fairly inexpensive job anyway for piece of mind.

It is fairly inexpensive, but includes dismantling the front hubs and that will need A BIG press. When I replaced mine, the 20t press didn't do a thing, it took about 85-90 tonnes to get the bearings out

Latest posts

Back