FRP #32 - Let's go back to the start...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Christian. If there's no history of the cambelt being changed get it shipped off to Chris ASAP.
Barry

Good news Christian! Go enjoy and make your mind up in the new year what you're gonna do

Thanks guys...

The cam belt has definitely been changed in the last five years... just waiting to hear back on the exact date... should be ok until the spring/summer when I'm gonna get Chris to strip and service the engine...

hopefully I will have removed quite a bit from my donour car... stripped... serviced... cleaned and sealed ready to fit..

I may look at the front bumper repair next... kinda like the idea of getting the Splitter back on... no foubt I will be asking for advice...

peace

I'm still looking to buy, will be happy to put her right!

Glad it's now playing ball for you now though, defo get a splitter put on

Hey there...

hope everyone has had a good winter... glad the summer is on it's way... not much done over the last 3 months... other than driving the car every day and enjoying it every day... took my 6 year old son out last Saturday just for the fun of it.. he seems to like it too... ***flash forward 11 years*** 'Dad... can I borrow your car?' noooooooooo...

I found these the other day for £5.00 a pair... still deciding whether to put them on the rear too...

IMG_2425.JPG

I am finally going to get my Splitter fitted tomorrow and I am still confused... I bought a set of original splitter brackets and have been told that I need to get the brackets riveted to the cross member... but looking at projects on here people have got them attached to the bumper... in that you can remove the bumper and splitter in one piece... like this...

IMG_0099.jpg

can someone please clarify where the splitter was originally attached to... is it the cross member... or is it the bumper as shown above....

Thanks for your help in advance...

also about to get the Black Edition onto the drive to completely strip of anything useful... including the engine... figure I will use it to learn on... take it to bits and see how it works...

peace...

100% fitted to the bumper itself - exactly as the pictures.

Hi there...

Water pump died today... started making a bad noise and the died... pulled into the A1 auto centre that fitted the CAT and passed the MoT... gonna cost £500 to fix...

OEM Timing Belt £129
Water Pump £31.57
Drive Belt £18.40
antifreeze Change £33.33
3.5 labour £203.00

plus VAT is £500.00

what do I do... they don't have the tool either...

crap... crap... crap...

If it's just the water pump why all the rest, or is it due for changing anyway?

The timing belt is overpriced anyway I'd say...here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-Ford-Puma-1-7-Zetec-Timing-Cam-Belt-Kit-1997-2001-Main-Dealer-/291001321823?fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3APuma&hash=item43c107c95f:g:YXMAAOxyONBSZlzn

saved you roughly £30 and if you go say the SKF kit it's less than half that price:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKF-Timing-Belt-Kit-FORD-PUMA-VKMA-04223-/311589857659?fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3APuma&hash=item488c33e97b:g:ErYAAOSwy5ZXDNI8
and you now down closer to £400 which just feels so much better.

This Gates kit is even better at less than £60:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gates-OE-Quality-Engine-Cam-Camshaft-Timing-Belt-Kit-/141776476998?fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3APuma&hash=item2102895b46:g:xNMAAOSw37tV-XU3

I could go on but I may be labouring the point...which is do a bit of shopping yourself and you may save a bit on parts...for instance, I got a Gates aux belt for just £8 last week... damn, I had to take it too far, gone from hepful to annoying now :grin:

So... all done...

took me 4 hours... couldn't get the alternator off without removing the inlet manifold... so i removed the PAS pump instead... fortunately it is at the front on mine...

Spent quite a bit of time feeling for the bolts that hold the pump in... kept looking at the new one for reference... finally got it all fitted backs nd filled up... running really smoothly now... the old one was proper knackered...

Happy Days...

Alcons need doing next...

Hey there...

I couldn't get to the right hand bolt as the manifold was in the way... headlight was the first thing that came out..

Cheers

It sounds like you need a U/J in your socket set then you can reach it easily through the headlight aperture.
Barry

Latest posts

Back