My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barry, your car should attract attention even in a show room, it looks better than new!

Just one thing... I had to go back as far as last year (nearly 10 pages) in the thread to see pics of your interior. I think your car (and this thread) deserves a "Photo Shoot" post, like a center spread :wink:

Hi Mate
Thanks for that but it does have a few defects in the paint but it's good that the paint is mostly original. As far as the interior goes though I think James (XAF on here) deserves credit as he was the first one (I think) to fit the recaro fronts after he'd repainted them in the correct colour. I might be the first person to have the Recaro rears in the correct colour though :)

Barry, you can all sorts of 2 1/4' springs from rallydesign.co.uk

They sell different rates and lengths. You need longer springs on the front by the looks of it, probably another inch at least.

Hi Ben
Yeah I think you're right about the springs needing to be longer and possibly a higher poundage rate but I'll wait until the car comes off the road at the end of this month and probably send the springs back to AVO. They can check the poundage for me and they also do different lengths and poundages of springs so I'll get a one stop shop. As for Rally design I keep well away from them as they have a terrible reputation amongst Westfield owners and I once bought some of their wishbone poly bushes that lasted less than 3000 miles.

Fair enough! I've had some of there springs and a few other bits with no probs.

I don't think you'll need the springs too much harder once they're longer.

What shocks is that you've got on it Barry? I used AVO GTZ front and back on 17s and I didn't think the ride was unbearable. The coil definitely was never wound up like that. :shock:

Hi Emma
I'm pretty sure the fronts are AVO GTZs but unsure what the spring poundages are as the fronts came on the scrapper car I bought last year. To try and get a better ride on the car I swapped out the 205/40/17 tyres for 205/45/17s which meant that the front tyres would be 10mm closer to the inner wing flange and that's the reason why I wound the spring platforms right up to stop the tyres getting shredded on the wing flanges. This gave me the problem of the springs going virtually coil bound and reducing the shock travel. So the last time I meddled with it I wound the platforms down but the car nearly dropped the same amount as I wound down the platforms. I suppose the only conclusion I can make is the springs may have gone saggy and I need to replace them with longer ones or maybe longer ones with a heavier spring rate.
You haven't got a set of rear GTZ's to sell, by any chance? :)

I do but they come as part of a full set I'm afraid! :lol:
Have you fettled with the damping rates on the fronts as well?

Hi Emma
I wound them up to the softest setting when I first put them on and then wound them down either one half or a full rotation after I had the first drive. Once I have a set of springs I'm happy with on the front then I'll experiment with the damper settings. Once that's sorted I need to get the back end done as it's a bit bouncy. I might have to put an ad up on here for some rear AVO's then :-(

210920173535 by barry wilson, on Flickr

On the upside my Puma parts shed is nearly finished now :grin:

Full set.. but the rears are fork mount so would either have to sent to Gaz to change to eye mount or no good to you?

Well finally at the end of the season now and the Pumas been SORNED for nearly a fortnight :-(

101020173551 by barry wilson, on Flickr

The mileage is staring to creep up but apprx 1,000 a year so hopefully it should last for a bit :)
Got around to replacing the centre console which I'd damaged with some air fresheners...believe it or not. They made a right mess of the plastic even though they were dry type fresheners.

101020173552 by barry wilson, on Flickr

I cleaned the console of my Thunder to swap it out only to find that there was a massive blue biro stain in the bottom of the cubby hole so for a good few days I've been soaking it in fairy liquid and scrubbing it with a toothbrush and it's nearly clean now.

101020173549 by barry wilson, on Flickr

The last show of my season was the all ford show at Squires cafe and I ended up parked next to Ford Royalty.

240920173545 by barry wilson, on Flickr

I even managed to get my official arrival photo without paying for it (The over writing is hardly visible)

IMG_0268 by barry wilson, on Flickr

And finally the shed's finished and starting to get loaded up with Puma and other stuff.

101020173553 by barry wilson, on Flickr

101020173554 by barry wilson, on Flickr

Sheds looking good mate, I didn't realize your car was so low miles, , mine is still under a 100k, but only just. Ive been working in the drivers seat, and thanks to James for the leather, look like a new seat. I'll try and post a photo.

Is that the only shed Barry, or are you still doing two?

Hi James, I'm hoping to do another bigger one behind my garage this next year but I'm not going to start it unless we get the promise of some good weather, unlike this year.

Latest posts

Back