My first Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_Ingram

Hi all,

My first post on here to introduce my latest buy. Puma 1.7 on a Y plate.

IMG_20171021_092323_034.jpg

I was looking for something that was A) loads of fun to drive, and B) available on a tight budget, and I couldn't think of anything that'd fit the bill better. 55k miles, FSH... £550 - it amazes me how little these still go for!

First impressions after a couple of weeks: handles brilliantly, steering has decent feel, great gearbox, enough straight line speed (for now)... But worst seats I've ever experienced in any car. I'm 5'7" and (I like to think) in good shape, but the standard Puma items have no support at the top and dig into my lower back. After barely an hour behind the wheel they give me chronic back pain.

I'm solving this problem with some Recaros from a Fiesta RS Turbo - they look great and give fantastic support. Which is where I'm wondering if any of you guys can help.

The guy I bought them from had already adapted the seat frames (mk 3.5 Fiesta jobbies) so they almost slot straight in. I say 'almost' because they're missing the little 'top hat' risers. Does anyone happen to have one kicking about? I bought one that was on eBay, but I still need another!

Cheers, and thanks for having me here :)

Alex

Looks a cracking looking motor mate!

What seats have you got in it? Standard?

Welcome, car looks nice ;o)

Sounds like it didn't have the standard seats in, but to be honest, I found the standard ones uncomfortable in mine too after long drives. Luckily my enjoyment of the car tended to help me overlook the minor discomfort.

Hope you find your part ;o)

Funny things car seats. I’ve never had a problem with the standard Puma ones - I actually like the snug feeling when cornering although on a long drive they aren’t as comfortable as my Qashqai.

On the other hand, I once took my wife’s car on a short drive, resulting in back pain for a week! I hadn’t bothered to adjust the seat position. How she sits like that I don’t know.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

yippeekiay said:
[post]366241[/post] Welcome, car looks nice ;o)

Sounds like it didn't have the standard seats in, but to be honest, I found the standard ones uncomfortable in mine too after long drives. Luckily my enjoyment of the car tended to help me overlook the minor discomfort.

Hope you find your part ;o)

Yep, the guy who sold me the seats managed to dig them out, so he sent them over :)

Seats are a really subjective thing. I get to drive a lot of cars in my job, and by far the best seats of anything (affordable) I've driven this year were in a Toyota C-HR with leather (who'd have thought?!) yet when I drove a Merc GLA, for example, I just couldn't get on with them at all.

The old ones I couldn't stand (well, sit) were the original Puma seats. One thing that I noticed just before I fitted the replacements is that the height adjustment for the originals don't raise/lower the whole seat - only the back of the seat base - and this left the seat back digging in to my spine in the wrong place. I jacked it up which helped comfort a little, but then it was too high...

Anyway, here's how the new items look fitted:

IMG_20171028_164937_937.jpg

A big improvement in terms of both comfort and support, and I think they look pretty great too.

Latest posts

Back