All set for winter

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clavfunk75

Sat here waiting for a call to say my discs and pads have been fitted.

Moved house July 31st and the car took a back seat for a while. However the good news is that she now resides in a nice double garage all to herself.

So in the last couple of weeks I have serviced her with Ford approved oil, new filters, waxed, and sprayed ACF50 on the underside and engine bay.

Should see it right through winter. MOT due in a week or so. See how it goes.

Back safe and sound in the garage after disc and pad change. And imagine the surprise when I went to collect and spotted what was next to her!

Add another one to the Puma army soldiering into 2018. :grin:

Passed MOT today no probs, only advisory slight corrosion on brake pipes at front but reckons they'll clean up.

Just need to find a place in North East to do timing belt & water pump. Sent me down to his mechanics and he quoted £150 labour plus parts, but to be honest he didn't look like he wanted the job. In fact when he opened the bonnet I might as well have told him his house had burnt down and got a better response than "it's tight in there" (I'm cleaning that up an all)

:grin: I'd probably steer clear then too, doesn't scream 'I've done a 1.7 VCT belt change before'

It's crazy, been in touch with 4 garages local, not one got back to me and that includes a Ford independent. No one seems to want work beyond MOTs and service. Really frustrating. It's 6 years into it's last change and I'll be fuming if anything happens. I'll end up taking it to main dealer at this rate.

@clavfunk75
I had mine done at this place several years ago, had no problems with it:-
R & P Woods
172a Newton Road,
Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne And Wear
NE7 7HP

Not cheap but reliable work done!
(This is listed under the recommended garages section too).

Cheers for that. I did check list but there's a lot of old posts and often staff change so never too sure if still relevant.

I'll give them a shout

Messaged R&P Woods on Facebook. Got a receipt to say they had read it minutes later but never got a response. Same with my car needs a. I'll keep looking but will probably just suck up the higher price and take it to Ford at Carville listed here.

Wish I had the details of who done mine for you. Was a garage in Washington or Sunderland or that area...ooop North anyway :lol: Checked my old Puma costing spreadsheet but no details there.

He was brilliant. He fitted the cambelt kit, clutch kit, drop links, wishbones, wheel bearings all round, ARB bushes & front ABS sensors all for the sum of £350 which was a fraction of what the local Fraud dealer wanted. Although that was in 2009.

Doesn't help you but good luck, there are great, reasonably priced garages out there but they're seeimingly always well hidden. :eek:k:

Maybe I'm being too picky, they aren't that complicated are they the VCT engines to set right? Will they need the specific cam locking tool to do the job? Been in the garage the last few weeks, weathers naff!

The cam belt change on this engine is tricky to do if you don't fully understand the procedure and have ALL the correct tools and the proper locking tool is required for the crankshaft and not the camshafts.
Barry

Latest posts

Back