The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: MOT:pASS one advisory, chip in windscreen. Let the project continue :grin:

Im going to ramble a bit here but it will give you an idea for the motivation behind taking on Jeggar and his troublesome ways!

Some of you will know but for those that don't I took Jeggar (albeit as a project) as a car/gift for my mum to learn to drive since I've "grown up" and left home. My three other pumas and my belief that a puma isn't just for Christmas suggests that growing up may never happen! Ever! Christmas time by the way, was when the love affair for the puma began, picking up my shiny pacific green puma back in 2010. (I was young then) An frp and Millie have been added since and both were also bought in the month of December!

Back to Jeggar, so yesterday I picked him up for the day and everything was going to be great! No, lots of growling at low speeds coming to a stop. This is clearly linked to the abs and traction control lights that have been appearing intermittently! Naughty! However after being very patient for the morning I was given some relief for the afternoon and the drive was nice. Still slightly alarming at higher speeds. (Like driving a high sided vehicle in a hurricane) Bizarrely you get used to it ;p

This morning I'm going down in my raincoat (I've never said that before) to inspect some sensors and bushes. That might be as far as I get as its looking proper moody outside. Back soon..........

Tried to inspect rear bushes so as you do you try to free the beam from the hinges. Offside the nut and bolt free up nice and easy. Nearside, not so easy plus I noticed that the bolt has been fitted from the outside and the 19mm nut is on the inside. Great :evil: This means the previous bush installer definitely removed the axle hinges from the chassis to get the bolt in the way its been done...........

Decided to pack up after that, go again another day.

Jamesfrp333 said:
[post]362575[/post]the bolt has been fitted from the outside and the 19mm nut is on the inside
I feel your pain on that one!

I recently did my bushes and found exactly the same thing. Luckily there was enough space to get in there with a grinder and thin cutting disc to cut the head of the bolt off.

Jamesfrp333 said:
[post]362575[/post] This means the previous bush installer definitely removed the axle hinges from the chassis to get the bolt in the way its been done...........
On the plus side - it may be a contributing factor to the wayward handling. The bushes were last done by a dodgy garage up the road from me (long since closed) and they had a proper old fight with them by all accounts. There's a good chance they didn't leave the bolts loose before lowering the car to the floor so the axle could square up.

Yes Lee! I'm waiting for a sunny day and where time is not an issue to have a good old go at it!

I've just had the two front wheels off to find very rusty and flaky hubs and very dirty ABS sensors. Gave everything a good old spray and clean so I'm confident the ABS growling isn't going to return now. (Maybe slightly overconfident) We will see!

Time for a coffee and to rest on my laurels for a bit :p

Quick little update. Poly bushes fitted to the rear beam and a little time squaring up the rear beam and Jeggar is transformed!

Fast becoming a pleasure to drive and frankly disappointed to drop it back to my dads house! (a little bit dirty due to a bit of rain last week)

Since last time I've massaged some leather care balm into the front seats and sterering wheel door card leather and cleaned up plastics!

Things to do still so I don't forget

*Bit of a service

* Investigate electric seat switch (not working)

* Book in for cambelt/waterpump/aux belt

* Repair chip in windscreen

*Make up some copper brake lines

Ps had a little moment where the abs lights came back on but didn't experience any of the "growling" again.......yay!

Pics coming soon............

Jeggar the Dickhead is a dickhead, but what a good looking dickhead!

I could just moan about all that is wrong but tonight is for a positive post. The issues can be addressed another time :lol:

Can I have a drumroll please........ Jeggar IS making the trip to FORD FAIR this year! So with that in mind Its taken pride of place in my garage this week for "prepping" theres a lot to do in a short space of time seeing as the event is just next Sunday! Mr evil rob will have the 'honour' of driving him on the day! Don't make him dirty!!

Its started off tonight with what was going to be clean the alloys. Somehow the alloys are not back on the car yet.....
got sidetracked a little bit by some horrid looking rusty drums, so they've been painted. whilst that was going on I noticed the state of the arch liners. so they've come out for cleaning. Anyway cut a long and factual story short the whole inner arch has been treated and rubbed back and painted black which smartens it up no end! Whilst the paint dries ill whack a burger in the frying pan and feed the cat, he wasn't happy when I came up as dinner time is 6 o'clock and I've been out since 5! I was told off.

Lots to do tomorrow before I can even get the wheels back on. its one of those jobs that goes unnoticed but personally very satisfying and definitely worth it for a beaut like 'The Jegs'

Pictures to follow..

LOVE IT! When searching Jeggar, first thing that pops up is 'Jeggar the dickhead is a dickhead' I'm easily pleased :p

Now, usually no news mean good news, but all it means in this case is ive been to lazy and scared to update. Thanks for the nudge on Facebook The Arch Bishop :lol:

There is another significant plot twist for this car. Sometime in early December it was a day like any other and on this occasion all Jeggar had had to do was get my Father to the hospital for a checkup (he doesn't suffer with pumaitis like me) Jeggar performed well (short trip) but we don't know what got into him because whilst waiting for the patient to return it transpired Jeggar had been in a fight, with a vehicle that I'm told resembled a transit tipper :pinkeye: . Obviously the big question is WHY!? and secondly did the driver stay to swap details.....?

The patient returned to find a bit of a gathering surrounding Jeggar but this time it was for absolutely the wrong reasons :-( he's suffered a considerable amount of damage to the front end. Several panels will need replacing in the best case scenario and in the worst case scenario, well, we all know what that would be..

Van admitted fault and its all down the the insurance toads now. :-(

It hangs in the balance..

updates to follow..

I knew you would be rob, I am also sad.

The ever awesome Karl Mcd has offered some, if not all of the parts should he be repairable.. this is the only positive news

You can’t like Jeggar die!!!! Between us we can fix him

WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT! :(

26552885_1657321894288108_1354372012_n.jpg

Jamesfrp333 said:
[post]367002[/post] and its all down the the insurance toads now. :-(
Leaving aside the usual gag of 'Nothing that will not polish out with T Cut', you leave that to the insurance toads and that motor will be written off for sure. Just a new nearside headlight unit is over £200 and the book price on that motor will be around £450. You get small cheque, they take ownership and will promptly scrap it.

However....you are legally obliged to notify your insurance co. of recent events, but not obliged to put in a claim. Assuming no chassis damage and headlight, bumper, bonnet will be around £30 a piece.

Latest posts

Back