Power Steering Pipe Wanted / Air Con Model

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1679

As title...... just pulled up at home and power steering fluid everywhere, pipe has corroded and is holed.
Being an air con model it's the hose below I think.....
Runs from the rear of engine mounted pump down under the crank pulley towards the front of the car, loops back on itself then back under the crank pulley to the power assisted rack.
Anyone got a useable one for sale???

Attachments

• IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 2,805
Possibly.....

I’m taking the one off my FRP at the weekend and putting a new one on as part of the rebuild, but nothing wrong with the old one.....

Thanks for the quick reply.....
If it's available let me know, if i get one before I'll put a post up here , thanks

You can still get them from Ford, FINIS 1127273, but at around £195 they are not cheap, and you need the unions for the end too at around £30 for the pair!

Drop me a PM and we’ll work out a price

Sorry for not replying until now..... yeah if you are removing it this weekend then give me a reply when it's off, I'm ordering the unions today and sorting an 18mm crows foot to get at the unions, anyone got any tips for getting the union on the rack off?? From above it looks like it's behind the white plastic shroud, not been underneath yet to have a look around but it's looks tight for space in there.

rob1679 said:
[post]368254[/post] Sorry for not replying until now..... yeah if you are removing it this weekend then give me a reply when it's off, I'm ordering the unions today and sorting an 18mm crows foot to get at the unions, anyone got any tips for getting the union on the rack off?? From above it looks like it's behind the white plastic shroud, not been underneath yet to have a look around but it's looks tight for space in there.

It’s off and totally rot free!

rob1679 said:
anyone got any tips for getting the union on the rack off?? From above it looks like it's behind the white plastic shroud, not been underneath yet to have a look around but it's looks tight for space in there.

Move the engine.

Support it on the lift eye and remove the off side mount. Plastic cover has two pozis in to the bulkhead. Screwdriver bit in a ratchet spanner is a good approach. You ideally need the column separated from by the pedals to remove the shroud completely but you'll have enough room to open the 18mm on the pipe union without removal. Depends if you want more work and better visibility. Ensure the key is out and steering lock engaged if you do disconnect the column.

When re-fitting make sure everything is very clean indeed as you'll ideally want to start by hand to protect against cross-threading. Quite critical that it lands square before you start turning it.

Oh and buy that pipe off James, you won't find another.

Well....... fitted a replacement pipe / hose today taking advantage of the decent weather.
What a s**t job..... had to remove the heat shield from the 4-2-1 manifold that had seized bolts....... managed to access the rack union with a shortened 18mm spanner after moving the upper plastic shroud, managed to bend the lower section with the spanner whilst undoing the union. Didn't bother removing the mount & moving the engine.
Then things got worse....... one of the bolts on the steel p clips that bolt through the air con pump is too long to remove as it fouls on the radiator (nice one ford) so the clip got unhinged and left in situ, then it got even worse..... pressure switch was seized SOLID! rounded off the flats on each side, ended up grinding & sawing into the section then filing the flats until a 14mm spanner was a tight fit and then BINGO! it came out.
Threw it on with a bit of PTFE tape and Loctite 572 (white s**t) on the unions , fluid in , all good with no leaks.
Worst job I've done on one of these, feel like I've taken a kicking too but hey, that's why we love old cars isn't it??????

Latest posts

Back