My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sinisa
Yes my lights are horrible but I'm part way through restoring the lights off my Thunder. I had a scrap lens off the first Puma I stripped which I took off the clear coat and applied the clearcoat that I normally use but made a balls of it but I'm going to have another go till I get it right and then I will do the Thunder ones and keep my original ones for spares, Well spotted though :)

This is one of the Thunder lamps. The clearcoat was flaking off around the edges so it all had to come off so I started off with 400 grade and worked up my way to 2000 grade, it just wants clearcoating now.

Just catching up again Barry and the old lass is looking really well credit to you mate.
Its good to see the Puma has finally reached some sort of classic status and I have noticed a few popping up at shows its not before time mate.

Hi Martin
Thanks for that. Funny thing I was talking about you to a mate from Pontefract today at the Cafe. He was there with a mate of his and they were both on 350LCs so I mentioned about your organisation and said to him to turn up on Thursday night. I think Andrew connected him (somehow????) with the group that John Macfarland's in.... it's a small world :)
How's the Fezzer anyway, still running sweet?

I went to the Barnsley Trust Ford Ford meet/Fiesta ST launch today. This is another meet/show that's growing every year so I went early to get a good spot.

130520183688 by barry wilson, on Flickr

There was already an FRP there but never saw the owner or got a photo of it but shortly afterwards John Wilby turned up in his FRP. There was also a Ford GT in the showroom looking glorious but shame about the colour.

130520183687 by barry wilson, on Flickr

Trouble with getting such a good spot was that it was getting nearer to lunchtime and I was well and truly hemmed in.

130520183689 by barry wilson, on Flickr

Fortunately a car moved out from the bottom left hand corner so I managed to get out ok.

Well the sun came out today and with it no wind so I decided to touch up the front bumper where it had been accident damaged prior to me getting the car. I'd painted a couple of areas before but never clear coated it so it was starting to fade.
So off came the bumper;

140520183690 by barry wilson, on Flickr

Here's one of the faded areas just above the rubber strip.

140520183691 by barry wilson, on Flickr

Gave it a quick rub down followed by masking and then a quick spray of Colarado red, so I have a few days now before I flat it off and clear coat it. I also finished off the filler cap I did last year and this time no flies got stuck in it.

140520183693 by barry wilson, on Flickr

I got the clearcoat on this Saturday and this is how it looks without even polishing (the white marks are just residue off the masking tape)

190520183694 by barry wilson, on Flickr

I was that pleased to get it done I insured the bike so, hopefully will get it tested and taxed tomorrow.

090520183684 by barry wilson, on Flickr

Ah, always an inspiration, Barry! Never took my bumper off, will do it this summer. Who knows what is behind it?!

PS: Aren't you little old for such bike (I know I am :oops: )? How big is the engine? 750 cc or more? Akrapovič doing ok? He is a very nice chap, BTW, met him many years ago and bumped into him few times since (he is from Slovenia, we are bordering Slovenia). Never will forget his assesment of an exhaust manyfold on an Audi 80: in the first 30 cms of exhaust they have lost 4-5 bhp...!

Hi Sinisa
I'm pretty sure you will find no horrors behind your front bumper as the Puma's are really rot free at the front :)
As for my bike yes I am too old for it but at least it's fun in a dangerous sort of way :grin: It's 1000cc and 145bhp at the crankshaft. Akrapovic makes some beautiful exhausts (even for Porches) and I seem to remember quite a few of his welders are women. The welds are nearly invisible but haven't been ground down!

Finished off the front bumper today and it looks a lot better as I managed to hide the blow in marks in areas you can't see without laying on the ground.

230520183695 by barry wilson, on Flickr

The reflections look a bit weird but the bumper is ok.

Back on the car now but the rest of the car is totally covered in dust as I've been cutting and laying stone flags to the rear of the house. I really need to get the headlamps done and then detail the rest of the car.

230520183696 by barry wilson, on Flickr

Aye, you'll be detailing and buffin like a good un soon :lol:
Well that's it...now my post count matches my monicker so can't do any more :)

Finally got around to figuring out how to swap my dicky bonnet switch.

060620183698 by barry wilson, on Flickr

The existing one on my Puma still had the spring steel tangs attached which meant that they had to be pressed in with a screwdriver whilst pulling up on the switch, a bit fiddly but I got it in the end. The one out of my scrap Thunder had the tangs rusted off but it's such a tight fit in the hole that it's not going anywhere. For those wanting to do this job the plug for this switch is not on the switch but on a lead off it about 6 inches to the right.
Rob (Robyorks) and I went to the Locke Park classic car show in Barnsley today. It turned out to be well subscribed, in fact it's the busiest I've seen it and the Pumas got a fair bit of attention with comments such as "you just don't see these anymore"

100620183700 by barry wilson, on Flickr

100620183710 by barry wilson, on Flickr

There was even a Carver there (banking car) I've never seen one in the flesh before only on Top Gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfiWsaYp3xU

100620183702 by barry wilson, on Flickr

Rob and I went to the Castle Howard Fathers day classic show today. It was the first time I've been to this one and it might be the last because even though the show was good the traffic on the A64 was horrendous. We got quite a few people stopping to talk to us and admire the Pumas so interest is definitely growing in them.

170620183733 by barry wilson, on Flickr

The background to the photo looked pretty empty but that was because the photo was taken late on when quite a few cars had gone.

Latest posts

Back