Fuel Locking Cap Stuck

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alrytgeeza

Hey Guys

My fuel level light just come on so i went to refuel when I couldn’t get my locking cap off the tank filler,

Is this a common problem is there anyway i can get this off as it seems like the key is going to break if i force turn the lock, It only turns a quarter then nothing it doesn’t lodge at all

Many Thanks

Hmm not sure, someone will help, BUT try a bit of WD40 in the lock mechanism itself.
Keep repeating putting in the key (do not turn) and wiping off rust/dirt that comes of on the key. Even try spraying the key end and inserting it, then in and out.

Then after a while try gentle turns, not so to open the lock but to get the key as the contact to the dirt.

Be patient and then try a bit of spray grease once the lock has worked free and is clean, this is the method I use to service the locks. Maybe you should also go around the car's doors and boot while your at it!

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply i have sprayed wd40 into the lock mechanism and let it soak for 12 hours no rust signs as of yet and still wont budge could it possibly be caused by the air pressure inside the fuel tank?

You need to put the key in and out, by letting it soak the rust just stays in place. Hopefully the dirt will stay on the key and you remove it that way. :grin:

I doubt it would be a pressure difference, it would be designed so as not to seal if the cap is rotated and hence a few cubic centimeters increase in volume.

Another possibility is that you crossed threaded the cap when you put it on last, that would be bad news...try with one hand rotate the key, then with the other rotate the cap itself so the force is through the cap not the key and lock mechanism.

I had a similar issue on my FRP. I sprayed plenty of GT 85 in with the key half in, worked it free and it’s been ok since. Hope you get it sorted.

Hi guys thanks for your help managed to get it out the barrell had some grit stuck in the pins bit of penitrating fluid did the trick

Latest posts

Back