My Puma (formally pictures at last)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.
I went for the most toned down stripe that was still a contrast. It was a pig to do because on the Puma all surfaces are curved which does not lend to sticking straight strips on to it. To stick a wider stripe on would be very difficult unless it was running down the center line of the car. But spraying could be another option.

Regards,
Richard.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
[post]348018[/post] Hi,
Yes I have used them for over forty years with no problems.

regards,
Richard.

Well I had on my old orion with 1.3 Kent engine waterpump seizure that led to braking of a belt. It was QH water pump less than a year old and after that never again bought a QH part... Maybe it was just my luck, but still. We have a saying; if a snake bytes you, mind the lizzards as well (hope it is understandable, it is difficuilt to translate some of the sayings)

But, you have a really nice pair of pumas there!

Anything can fail, even genuine parts. You may have been unlucky in that instance and it's unfair to write off an entire brand due to one mishap. If Richard has been using QH products for over 40 years without issue he's collected more data than you.

This is of course looking at it from a scientific point of view and if you don't want to use QH stuff then don't, doesn't matter to me.

In the 70s and 80s when we were running cars on a shoestring, genuine parts were not an option (unless there was no alternative).
QH parts were the next best thing and I can't remember ever having any issues with them.

Hi.

Well that dreaded time of year arrived again.....MOT. It passed, no advisories. I must admit although I do take good care of my Puma I am well aware the it is seventeen years old and now start to get a bit nervous at MOT time, for that little bit of corrosion that might be lurking somewhere. I am sure it is only a matter of time.

Regards,
Richard

Hi all,

It has been some time since I have updated my thread. I am now having to use the Puma as a daily which does greave me a little, I have now clocked up £120K. It is still running well with no issues. I have upgrade all the head light bulbs, I can now actually see where I am going when driving down those dark country lanes. A few weeks ago I got a foam head for my buffer and some G10 compound and gave it a buff up followed with two coats of polish it came up very well. Also I have just shelled out on a full set of Uniroyal rainsport 3's. I am very impressed, they give a lot more forgiving ride bearing in mind I am running 40 profile tyres. I am hoping some time next year to use it only on high-days and holidays.

Regards,
Richard.

Hi Richard
Good to hear all's going well and your Puma still looks very smart.
I have now clocked up £120K
Wow you've spent a lot a lot on your Puma :grin:

Hi,

Thanks.

I spoke to soon I have had an annoying knocking from the rear nearside whilst driving over bad roads. I discovered to day it is a rear bush. I have ordered a pair of Ford bushes. All I need to do now is to get a bush removal/refitting tool. A job for next weekend.

Regards,
Richard.

Hi,

Just a quick update. I replaced the bushes last Saturday I followed the how to do guide. However I did not have to unbolt the hand brake cables or touch the exhaust. The nut on one bush bolt had seized despite a course of derusting fluid applied regularly over a course of a week prior to doing the job, I eventually got it off. The other nut and bolt rounded. I simply cut the nut off with a hack saw, a quick and easy job. I had replacement M12 x 90mm hexbolts of suitable quality with large pattern washers and nylock nuts before I started the job. I had also purchased this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-KA-REAR-AXLE-SUSPENSION-BUSH-REMOVAL-INSTALL-GARAGE-TOOL-1996-ON/253170234620?fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3APuma&hash=item3af21f34fc:g:n0EAAOSwB09YF0I4

It was so quick and easy using this tool. I would strongly recommend heating the bush housing prior to removal AND refitting the new bush, additionally place the new bushes in the freezer. Also just cut the nuts off and use new bolts on refitting. New bolts and the correct tool save loads of hassle.

Regards
Richard

Hi.

Just a quick update, I no longer have a lazy tailgate it works as it should.
I bought these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-2x-GAS-SPRING-STRUT-TAILGATE-SUPPORT-BOOT-HOLDER-FORD-PUMA-EC-1-4-1-7-97-02/263108348856?ssPageNam
Fantastic value would recommend them. The ends unscrew so the electric spade terminals off the old strut can be refitted. I know that there have been several comments about the struts degrading and not working as they should.

Regards,
Richard

Hi Richard
Looks good - I like the stripe it’s quite tastefully done. Did you sell your pristine Moondust silver Puma in the end?

Will

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
[post]348014[/post] Hi.
The Performer 8 looks amazing with having two of these

Means that I have to buy two lots of this.

That lot cost me as much as another Puma and I still have to pay the garage.

Regards,
Richard

It is what it is, right Richard? Your Pumas look amazing though! You pamper them well.

Hi.
I have the dreaded mot due in a couple of months. So l thought as my Puma is getting older and the mileage is now creeping up it would be prudent to start preparation. I have found a small hole in the rear of the drivers sill at the bottom of the wheel arch. I have it booked in for welding. I need to remove the rear card on that side. Can any one advise me the best way of doing this? As a side issue has any one removed the large plastic bins that the speakers are in?

Regards
Richard.

Hi All.

As previously stated I am readying my car for the coming MOT. I am working through the braking system.... work so far replaced hand brake cables ( under the car found rot another story) I have renewed rear shoes one side worn 50% more than other that was the side that had the seized handbrake cable. On the same side was a seized wheel cylinder. I have replaced all defective parts and reblead the entire system, all works well and foot brake is very good. However the hand brake will not adjust, I have checked the self adjust mechanism which works off the car but not when installed, there appears no reason why it should not work. I would be grateful for any input to sort this frustrating problem.

Regards,
Richard.

Try slackening off the handbrake cable adjuster . It's a 10mm nut. Use a deep socket its underneath the cover surrounding the handbrake in the center consul. Then with the engine running press the brake pedal and you should hear the adjusters click to take up the clearance in the drum . If not, remove the drums and adjust the adjusters with a flat screwdriver until they are just rubbing when you try and rotate the drum. Finally re tension the handbrake cable's 10mm nut & replace the handbrake levers cover.

Hi

Thanks for that. I have tried it once I will give it another go. I must admit I did not do it with the engine running. I have adjusted them up manually and have about 50% handbrake at the moment.

Regards,
Richard

Hi Richard
Did you get your handbrake to work 100% ??
I got the same problem, but have found out that the handbrake arm on the shoe hit the inner side of the drum as a mechanic stop. So that means you never gonna get it to work unless you grind the arm just enough so that it brakes 100%
Still working on mine.... :evil:

Hi

Sorry for the late response.
I got it to work in the end by taking the drums on and off adjusting the brakes manually by trial and error. I have since found out speaking to a couple of mechanics that the self adjust system does not work that well. One gave a top tip which was in addition to manually adjusting with the hand brake off slacken the adjustment nut right off on the cable to ensure the cable is really slack.

Regards,
Richard

Latest posts

Back