My Puma 1.7, more than a year on (A works in progress)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice job again again Barry. Looking good the paint job as I also have to get around to. And you also hat time for laying stones in the back in between the shows... busy busy you :)

Hi Martin I bought some Oetiker clamps but they ended up being the wrong size so I ended up using the screw clips at the tank and regulator ends and the twin eared clips where I'd plumbed in a tank drain. Once the ears of the clips have been clamped with pincers it's impossible to get them off without grinding them but I can take off the fuel pipe from either end if needed.

I went to the classic car show at Notton near Wakefield today and the car went down really well, but, unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of it there :-( Behind me was a current mustang in red, a full blown rally Lancia Delta Integrale to my right and a bubble arched Mexico to my left. It was the first time I had polished my car all over so it looked really well
"photo from my drive"
080720183749 by barry wilson, on Flickr

What made the show even better was that I had the A/C re-gassed at the start of the week and it was blowing really cold so I could get out of the oppressive heat, in fact I could do with sleeping in it tonight as it's so bloody hot here!

A big Thanks to my friend Rob (Robyorks) on here for kindly clear coating my headlight lenses as they now look fantastic even though I haven't polished them yet. These were the headlight off the Thunder I'm stripping and the original clearcoat was that badly damaged I'd had to completely remove it starting with 400 grade wet and dry and working through 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 and finally 2500. I'd tried previously on a scrap lens to use my rattle can clearcoat which didn't come out very well so Rob kindly said he would do them with proper 2K clear coat. Anyway here's a before and after photo and I don't think I need to point out which is the after.

130720183752 by barry wilson, on Flickr

And here they are on the car;

130720183753 by barry wilson, on Flickr

And then today Rob and I along with James (XAF) attended at the Pot House Hamlet classic car show at Silkstone nr Barnsley. We had some positive comments about the cars again and people are definitely looking at the cars rather than just walking on by as they would have done a couple of years ago.

150720183756 by barry wilson, on Flickr

Barry, have them sprayed profesionally. With cure in the owen etc. It shouldn't cost to much as it is a small item that can be thrown in when a car is being done so someone might do it as a freebie and then it will be done properly and the lenses will be protected. It will pay off in the long run as the lenses are NLA.

The car looks really nice!

Hi Sinisa
As far as I know the 2K that Rob uses is the same stuff as what professional paint shops use so they should be good for now. They certainly look good even though I haven't polished them yet but I suppose time will tell.

Well, I am very sorry to see all the effort and labour go to waste and I am speaking from (near)my experience. A friend just polished his lenses on vito (granted, the worst Mercedes EVER) only to be in worse condition after 6 moths than it was the starting condition.... He didn't do a respray on advice of a polishing guy (who didn't have the facilities to spray them, hence his advice) but used some magic treatment that turned out not to be so magic after all.... :oops:

Regarding the quote: you have to tak into account that English is not my native so sometimes something might turn out clumsy as I don't think in English but TRANSLATE my thoughts to English. No languages are the same and you would be most probably very surprised to learn how complicated Croatian is compared to English. I didn't mean to offend you Barry, sorry if it turned out like that :oops: :oops: :oops:

I think it was that they had already been coated in a clear 2k lacquer by Rob and your post was interpreted that this solution wouldn't be effective and it should be re-done professionally.

I'm sure no one is actually offended.

Hi Sinisa
It's ok you didn't offend me at all and I understand that things are sometimes misunderstood in another language. If you wrote to me in Croation (Croat????) I wouldn't have a clue. You might have to buy Rob a pint when you eventually meet him, though :grin:
Barry

Rob and I did another reasonably local classic car show on Sunday at Walton near Wakefield with the Pumas. This was only the second year of the show (I was there last year as well) but it was a good show and well attended. Our Pumas looked well and attracted a fair bit of attention with one guy even saying he always wanted one and claiming he was going to get one now. I directed him to this forum so, hopefully we may see a new member....or not.

220720183762 by barry wilson, on Flickr

It's got to the stage now that I've nearly stripped down my scrapper Thunder that I've just about run out of room in the shed I built last year.

240720183781 by barry wilson, on Flickr

So I'm building another one just at the back of the first one. This should take the plastic packing cases

230720183780 by barry wilson, on Flickr

I found out that on one of the headlights I'd repaired (with Robs help) that the motor wasn't working so I had to swap the headlamp unit and lens over.

That fixed it and I went out later on in the dark and the adjustment looked about right. When I get my scrap Thunder out of the way I'll adjust the headlamps up properly using the garage door as a gauge.
I've also finished my second shed now and starting to fill it up with Puma spares.

I went to Fordfair again and had my car on the stand and as per usual it was a good day apart from the constant popping , revving and banging from the Focus brigade (not Dal)

My son Andrew went early to the Autojumble at Fordfair and came back with this;

A brand new door handle in the right colour for only 7 quid

Perfect for replacing my battle scarred drivers side handle.

Latest posts

Back