How to : Replace your Heater Control Valve (HCV)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great! Particularly useful as the plastic outlet pipe has just sheared off. Fortunately was in a traffic jam right outside a garage. They were able to disconnect both hoses and connect them together using a piece of steel pipe Of the right diameter I just happened to have in the boot! Got me home a treat.

This happened to me just now as I was inspecting a cheap Thunder prior to purchase! The spigot fell apart in the owners has as he tried to investigate the seeping coolant. bought a 15mm female/female 90deg copper plumbing bend from wickes (£2.38 for 5!) and joined the hoses together. Got me 150 miles home ok, but want it sorting asap!

Going to go for a Blue Print part for £28, I've had good experience with their parts in the past. Agree the £11 China ones are probably junk.

Trouble with Ford part is it's just so expensive if you're not a business and can have discount! I suspect it won't be any more long lived than a good quality pattern part e.g. TRW, Blue Print etc.

I was curious to see how the valve worked so I took my old one apart. Turns out the one I bought as a replacement was exactly the same as the one I took off (Blue Print).

Interestingly my symptoms weren't consistent with a totally broken HCV. Generally speaking the heater control behaved itself and did what I wanted, albeit slowly. However if I gave the car some right foot treatment I'd always get an increase in air temperature corresponding with the harder work for the engine.

Then I found out why. There was a piece of old plastic pipe lodged in the valve body preventing the plunger from fully opening (or closing, I'm not sure which). Presumably this is the remains of the original Ford HCV body that collapsed when previous mechanic was changing it. That's why it's important to get rid of all the bits of broken plastic! I would recommend a flush if you're not sure you have recovered all the broken bits of pipe.

Anyway the silver bit is just a solenoid controlling the movement of the plunger, which opens/closes depending on what you've selected on the heater control.

Having opened up this Blue Print one I'm satisfied that the construction is reasonably robust, in fact I'd say the valve body/spigots are actually tougher than the Ford original - there was no sense that it was going to collapse as I removed the pipes.

Anyway even if I'm wrong I now have a spare HCV valve (now working fine since the errant bit of plastic has been removed)!

Attachments

• 20190215_161652.jpg
    20190215_161652.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 9,137
  • 20190215_161634.jpg
    20190215_161634.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 9,137
  • 20190215_161624.jpg
    20190215_161624.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 9,137

Latest posts

Back