Just bought my first Puma!!! :)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart1275

Just got my first puma been looking around for an economical fun car and the Puma seemed to fit the bill.
After missing out on a few on ebay I managed to bag one from a social media site. 140 mile round trip (thanks to my neighbour for taking me) a days insurance £16 and she is home and safe on the drive.
I am shocked at how good this car is to drive wow best money I have ever spent and I put £15 of petrol in it and still have quarter of a tank !!! amazing.
Only got a short mot on it so will keep using my gas guzzling Honda CRV auto for a week or two while hopefully doing any work it needs for the mot.
It has a leak of oil on the front wheel (brake fluid ? or CV joint ? maybe)
Bodywise so far it looks ok although I have not been down on my ancient old knees yet to inspect the tricky bits !
In fact getting in and out of the puma is probably the furthest I have bent down for ages lol.

Hi Red.

I would like to get it to handle as well as I can. I will have a look at renewing as much of the worn bushes etc with polyflex or equivalent and check the suspension is all up to scratch. I see a lot of posts about replacement shocks & springs that lower the car but if I replace them I would want to keep the same height maybe just make them a bit stiffer so will keep my eye out for any bargain suspension units going :) .... I have had a chance to shine a torch around underneath today and so far it looks better than I expected :) ... I am looking forward to getting it up and running.

Hi,
Welcome aboard.
I bought my Puma about 2 years ago and the standard suspension has damping to die for.
My counsel on the suspension is refurbish to new and standard and then go from there as the base set up is so good.
The suspension and wheel combination is such a revelation over modern bling wheel rim sizes and short travel suspension.
Have fu.
kind regards Ian

Welcome, I am with Ian above regarding suspension, new bushes etc but otherwise leave alone, in standard setup with good tyres etc it will embarass a lot of more modern motors.
My Millie has 130,00 on the clock, is 18 years old completely standard apart from poly bushed rear beam and it handles every bit as well as my 6 year old 50,000 mile C-Max which is basically a Focus on steroids and it handles brilliantly.

Hi,
When you're ready for annual insurance for the vehicle then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to try and help out.
Regards,
Dan.

I too have just brought my 1st Puma - 20 years after first test driving one! I picked up a very good condition W reg with 41k miles from a local Garage (1 prev owner from new), all standard. We drove through central London at peak time yesterday and it came through that test with flying colours. One thing I do need to source is a either a new drivers seat (cloth - Chrome/Twill) or a good upholsterer - I'm based in North Essex.
James

Hi James,

Welcome to the site, you could try [ref]Ian G[/ref] who's the man t go to for spare parts. He's no where near you though so it's have to be shipped.

Red

Latest posts

Back