Puma 1.7 Rebuild Mk II

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke to J and he confirmed that all going well it's due to be with me this evening.

We also chatted about what parts can get more power out of the engine. He said manifold and sports cat would see biggest gains and I wouldn't need to have the full exhaust system which would mean the car wouldn't sound as brash/chavy.

I checked on Allison automotive and all their parts are interchangeable with original parts which is good. Can get the manifold and cat for around £750. Probably only need to spend another £900 on the parts for more bhp and then I can finish it up on a remap. So maybe £1300 all in?

Probably a similar amount for poly bushings and sorting out the rust and waxoyl.

Ed

:?: I assume that because you didn't post back, it arrived and you spent the rest of the evening out in it? :grin:

I wish. I spoke with him yesterday and today. He's getting help to get the engine back in today. As it's not ready I told him I had no way of getting into work and thankfully he's giving me a lift to and from work and collecting the Focus today.

It'll be good to chat to him face to face today. No animosity or anything like that. I just need my car back.

With any luck it'll be ready tonight. Wish me luck.

Ed

Focus has gone. Changed the V5 online to his name. No more road tax and insurance direct debits gives me a little more financial breathing room.

Waiting on an update tonight. I'll be getting a lift home with him. Hopefully he has time to start putting the engine back in before I meet him this evening.

Ed

He's working on it as we speak. He's got help putting the engine back in. Already been 60-90 mins and he's due to leave to pick me up in another 90 mins. Would 3 hours be enough time to get the engine back in and reconnected? Christ, I hope so.

Either way, he'll give me a lift home and I can get another update. He'll probably be on another late night in the workshop. I've pondered and assumed many deadlines. This really feels like it's about to come true.

Ed

J offered me a lift tomorrow. I don't know. My folks said get a cheap runabout car until the Puma is fixed and then sell it. That's what the Focus was supposed to be. I can't see this project taking longer than another week, but who knows.

On a separate note - breaking in an engine. First 500 miles variable rpm, nothing too hefty, no drawn out stints at a constant rpm and then an oil change?

Ed

J text me to say the engine is back in. He's reconnecting all the pipes and wiring and will update me tonight.

giphy.gif

Ed

raggamuffin said:
On a separate note - breaking in an engine. First 500 miles variable rpm, nothing too hefty, no drawn out stints at a constant rpm and then an oil change?

Ed

Just try to get it even. The engine should work as much pushing and pulling the vehicle, if you understand. So after some moderate acceleration, try to brake with engine as well.
All the WRC teams always worked like that when engines were new: they would accelarete to say 100 kph and then lift off and brake with engine to 50 kph, and all over again....

I've bought another oil filter. I'm going to try and rack up 500 miles asap when I get the car back. Then get the oil changed.

After that I'll start getting a bit livelier with the driving.

Ed

J said he should be picking me up in the puma tonight.

I'm going to break in the engine locally in case anything untoward should happen. That way I won't be left stranded too far from home.

Ed

Huge news - the car is up and running.

Bad news - There's a couple of issues.

Firstly - He's got to take the exhaust system off as the bolts that hold the cat to the manifold have snapped. He said he's going to heat the broken bolts up hopefully they will come out ok. I hope they can scrounge some half decent bolts from somewhere. I mean he breaks a lot of cars for parts, so I'm hoping they'll find a way.

Secondly - They're trying to find a way to hold the dip stick tube in as it originally fixed to the inlet manifold but we've now got an aftermarket one installed from Lightning Motorsport. He's trying to make a bracket for the dip stick with his dad and said he'll keep me posted.

Either way - I'm happy and not disappointed. The Puma is alive once again and I'm sure they'll do their best to find a solution to these 2 problems. If not I'll just have to buy whatever's needed and get it sent to their workshop asap.

UPDATE: Got confirmation just before 9pm that J has sorted the exhaust issue and it's going back on. The dipstick tube he couldn't fix, so I rang Chris at LMS who rang back several mins later (what a legend). They've spoken with each other on relocating the dipstick tube and it's all in hand. :)

I finish work at 10pm and I'm shattered after a 13 hour shift, but I told J I don't mind staying late to give him extra time to finish up. Fingers crossed J rocks up outside in my puma. :grin:

Ed

Unfortunately not tonight. The dipstick tube needs modifying. I'm not sure if parts need ordering at this point or if he can do the modification/fabrication himself. He's picking me up in 5 mins so I can provide a full update later on.

Ah well, I'm absolutely beat. Maybe tomorrow eh?

Ed

Had a long chat with J tonight. Tomorrow's definitely the day. Even with all the setbacks, having spoken to him face to face at length several times, he's such a nice and genuine guy.

Tomorrow looks set to be the day I get the car back. :eek:

I'll keep you posted.

Ed

J's off work today so he can focus on the Puma. He guaranteed it'd be today, probably late afternoon. He said last night that it'll be fairly straightforward getting the dipstick tube sorted now Chris @ LMS advised how it's fed around the LMS inlet manifold.

I'm not sure if door cards and struts still need fitting. After that he said he'll take it for an extensive road test. Then get it back to the workshop, leak check etc and then it's good to be delivered back to me.

Ed

Oil filter arrived. I keep catching a glance of it out the corner of my eye and thinking it's an Easter egg. :?

Going to get the puma in for an oil change next week and the MOT too. Few weeks early. Tempted to get a new starter and alternator fitted too. Going to the mechanic who lives over the road from my parents.

After that it'll be sorting the rust and bodywork out.

Ed

Latest posts

Back