Puma 1.7 Rebuild Mk II

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked, he figured try lambda and leads first. If you can provide a part number or ebay link I'll get one so that it can be replaced too. I'm not sure if it's this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAE-VORNE-ABS-SENSOR-DREHZAHLFUHLER-78040-P-NEU-OE-QUALITAT/263689626609?epid=1083085180&hash=item3d652063f1:g:~sYAAOSwNmxb6tgC&frcectupt=true

He's going to sort the MOT with a friend of his next week and after it's done the oil change, throttle body, struts and door cards can be done.

Someone mentioned about clips as well? Can I get a part number for the door card clips?

Regarding the gearbox mount - is this the part, or one of them to try? I'd been meaning to get the Vibra Technics fast road set

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-Vibra-Technics-Transmission-Mount-Insert-Fast-Road-FOR150M/110843260027?epid=1825363559&hash=item19cec5ec7b:g:CwcAAMXQVERS87bo&frcectupt=true

Other than that, I need the windscreen seeing to, but I have it covered on insurance so i'll book that in beginning of next week. He said the rust isn't bad at all on the underside of the car. I'm going to get a quote from a few places on that.

My dad had his leather car seats repaired by a local chap and if he does decent rates I'll get the millenium recaros to finish off the Millenium interior. Still need the black speedo surround to replace the silver one. Does a double DIN head unit fit in the Puma with a fascia?

Just got the K&N cold air induction too.

Ed

Hiya there,

This the vehicle speed sensor (VSS): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-VSS-vehicle-speed-sensor-95BB-9E731-BA/183330522124?hash=item2aaf59c40c:g:VpAAAOSwiCRUcOzW

I would just try firstly making sure the connectors are all the way in and the contact has been made, or the wire is not snapped or something similar...

This is the gearbox mount: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-1-7-Engine-Gearbox-Mount-97-to-02-Mounting-Firstline-1014899-New/232642116083?fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3APuma&hash=item362a8cf9f3:g:6y4AAOSwWW5b7qTm

But, I would kindly suggest to have a look at it first. If the rubber is not broken, you can stiffen it up using the windshield glue. Wash it up with soapy warm water. Then apply some brakecleaner to degrease it completely. After it has dried, fill the voids inside (you will see what I mean when you have in it your arms) with the windshield glue and let it dry. After it has dried, it will be stiffer and good for another year or so at least. Just trying to save you some money....

Yup I gave you the finis for the clips forther up in this thread

'FINIS is 1044866. You look them up either on eBay, or at local Ford dealership. I would recommend to go for original Ford product; it is MILES better than eBay cheapos that break down all to easily'

:cool: and it's home!

I was expecting it to be red as well, I had to re-read the start of this mission to see how the colour changed and found it's your third Puma :-D

Glad you've got it back and hope that you can now work through the few snags! Keep up the enthusiasm :grin:

Getting a quote for bodywork today. Friend from work recommended a guy who works 2 minutes away from where I do. He also said he can get the MOT sorted from a reliable guy.

Also had a word with a chap doing windscreen repairs in Tesco car park. I can get that sorted on Wednesday.

Had some questions on uprated bits. Are ST150 or ST170 brakes for the front a good upgrade? Also I'm sure I've read about people using a Focus clutch as a replacement. Is this a stronger clutch? J recommended changing the clutch when addressing whatever the tapping noise is when the clutch isn't pressed in.

Ed

Hi all,

Quoted £400 to do both arches, cut away metal, replace, respray and waxoyl.

Windscreen to be replaced on Wednesday. £95 excess - bugger.

MOT booked for Thursday for £45.

TBC on when the bodywork can be done. Hopefully in a week or 2. He said it wasn't bad at all and it wouldn't fail it's MOT because of it. All in all he said it was in very good condition, so that's a relief.

The low RPM judder is improving and just in general the drive feels much smoother. It's a little wallowy in 2-3k RPM I'm not sure if this is the cams or the possible sensor issue. It's fine though, just keeping it above 2750 and there's plenty of beans to go around. I still can't get over the grip though. I wonder what it'll be like with the struts and polys installed.

Ed

Just went on my lunch break. Got back and noticed a puddle in my parking space.

Took a look underneath and it's looking oily.

P02.jpg

p01.jpg

Ideas? I'm going to ring J.

I've put it in another parking space to see if this puddle was from my car.

Ed

OK, I'm awaiting a reply from him now. Is it a quick fix? Would the oil need draining?

I don't recall any puddles in the road outside my house. It is a lot warmer today.

Ed

J said he thought it might be the drive shaft seal. I recommended what you said too.

On a side note, whilst I was under the car I noticed this on the passenger side, just behind the wheel arch. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious but it looks quite bad.

I might ask the bodywork repair guy to just go at the bodywork hammer and tong and ensure the rust doesn't come back. I don't really want to leave anything to chance when it comes to rust.

P03.jpg
P04.jpg

Ed

raggamuffin said:
J said he thought it might be the drive shaft seal. I recommended what you said too.

Don't think it is a seal as the frontal area of gearbox is covered in oil. On top of the gearbox is the breather that enables the gearbox to 'breathe'. It shoud allow for the air to circulate, but not the oil. If it is put in wrongly, the oil will go out. That looks like it. It is a very easy fix, just installing it correctly.

Thanks, I'll insist he checks both, or just take it to somewhere else completely and ask them to check both.

I'll keep you posted.

Ed

Just waiting to see if it can be looked at today or tomorrow. I'd like it fixed before MOT is due on Thursday. Plus on Wednesday the windscreen is being replaced and they gave me a convenient window of 8am to 5pm for when it could happen. :?

Ed

Puddle is slowly getting bigger. Very small though - a fraction of the size of the other puddle.

Not sure if J can look at it tonight. has to be tonight or tomorrow though. I'm guessing it'll be fine to drive for the next 48 hours provided when it's parked up the leak doesn't look massive?

Ed

Well if it leaks while the car is stationary, it is not the breather. It would be spitting oil only on usage. Thsi would indicate the J diagnosed it correctly as failing driveshaft seals (what would imply to me that he was well aware they were od inadequate quality/condition in the first place). They cost so little, it really makes no sense on reusing them....

He said he had to take the drivers side drive shaft out and it was already quite oily round the seal. After the rebuild he topped up the gearbox oil and said it's probably leaking again.

This isn't going to be leaking so much oil that the car will be unusable will it? I wonder if it's a part that'd be in stock for next day delivery. :|

Ed

These parts are easily available and common across most of the ford ib5 box range, probably cost you less than £10 for the seal

He's just left. He noticed one of the jubilee clips on a coolant pipe was very old and was causing a small leak of coolant. He thinks that this is what most of the leak on the floor was from. He refitted and tightened that and said to keep an eye on it and if needs be he can replace the clip.

He noticed some oil on the top of the transmission. He smelt it and said it was definitely gearbox oil. When he showed me the smell it made me realise, I think i've been smelling this in the car when it's been running for a while... I can't recall his exact wording as a lot of the technical terminology goes over my head. But when he had one of the shafts out, there wasn't much oil that came out of the gearbox. When he filled it up he's not sure if a little extra might've been put in which has caused it to leak. So I don't know at this point, it wasn't really the answer I was looking for and didn't put my mind at ease. I wasn't sure about getting a second opinion at this point.

I'm glad the coolant pipe is fixed, but the gearbox remains an issue. He said the rattle is quite bad. As the clutch has been done within the past 10k miles he doesn't think it would be the clutch release bearing which is what Chris at LMS and a friend of mine thought it might be. I had queried before about buying a used, low mileage gearbox on eBay. He said there's no real guarantees how good a condition it will be in, and it's a fairly long process to take one out and fit a new one. But a gearbox recon and a new clutch and clutch release bearing plus installation would probably cost me in excess of £1000.

So i'm not sure at this point - I'll admit, I started the day on a high thinking I'd been making real progress on the project, and now - well I feel extremely down in the dumps to be honest. J is off on holiday on Thursday and back on Monday. He said Wed/Thu he's not working and could work on the car for most of the day. Sort the lambda sensor, cold air induction, door cards and strut braces. He said he has plenty of clips for the door cards. So there's a positive, but the upcoming MOT, the leak and the rattle feel like big problems right now, with no visible solution.

I'm totally stuck with what to do at this point. J is off on Thursday, the other guy I have used before on my last Puma isn't back until next week from a holiday either. I wonder if I should ask a local garage to look at it and ask about the VSS and the oil breather? At this point I'm thinking the car will fail it's MOT on Thursday. It's idling isn't smooth, it regularly stalls if you don't put the revs on whilst it's stationary, when its going along it doesn't sound smooth at all. Whether this is the gearbox rattle or something else I've no idea. It sounds so unrefined it's almost like I'm driving a diesel. When I try to drive economically it hits the lower rev range where it starts kangerooing and juddering, the fuel economy is absolutely atrocious. I'm left thinking to myself what a whole waste of time and effort this entire project is starting to feel like. But this is my only car now - I've put in too much money to give up now. I just wish the excitement had lasted a little longer. When the car is driven hard it's smooth and a delight, but I can't afford to drive it in high revs and throw it around corners all the time otherwise the running costs and eventual wear and tear would be astronomical

I really feel stuck at this point guys. I know J wants to see this through with the additional work and get the car running well. I know he means well. Having no knowledge of the mechanics doesn't really help me. It just makes me worry about things that I have no way of fixing other than throwing money at the problem and hoping it gets fixed.

Bloody hell..

Ed

So it turns out a gearbox bearing wouldn't fail an MOT. The leak might if it's considered big enough. An old work colleague who's an engineer suggested cleaning it as best as I could before putting it through it's MOT.

With that, I feel a little less despair.

Progress :|

Ed

Latest posts

Back