Lewis's Banana Boat

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MSD coil pack and Formula Power HT leads arrived! Love the look of them!
S4cMYhU.jpg

Puma Pr0n, loving it! Are you not planning on strut braces? They are reasonably cheap and at this stage should be doddle to mount correctly! :pose2:

Van_Dammesque said:
Puma Pr0n, loving it! Are you not planning on strut braces? They are reasonably cheap and at this stage should be doddle to mount correctly! :pose2:

Thank you! Only the front lower, I feel like the other two are a complete waste of time and money. I also don't like the look of the front upper one, looks too busy!

ian cox said:
Hi
Were they brand new or did you get them refinished?
Thanks and kind regards Ian

Brand new Ian. What I done is visited https://ford.7zap.com/en/car/ , went through the diagrams and noted down the sizes of all relevant bolts I wished to have in zinc yellow. I then went to ebay item number 202332086292 for the bolts and ordered the ones I needed and item number 202339582235 for the nuts.

Genuine Superceded water manifold to replace the old corroded metal one. It will require some trimming for the MSD coil pack to fit as I believe its designed for the newer style coil pack, so I'll use a Dremel later..
R5ApPlA.jpg

Painted up the rocker cover too in a red enamel, looks awesome. I decided against a wrinkle paint because of cost.
sYptIIt.jpg

Engine coming along :grin:

4qba2HL.jpg

mmc757 said:
Out of curiosity, can you measure the rough dimensions of the empty engine bay?

I will do when I have a bit of time mate. What dimensions would you like to know?

Thanks!.
Width between the strut towers, length from firewall to strut tower centerline and from the strut tower centerline to the radiator support.
I know the lengths wont be precise, but best average is fine.
Engine bay dimensions.png

Powdercoated parts have been teased on! Here's a few pics:

Prep..
fH0zoDi.jpg

More bits on prep.
aM9W9qA.jpg

Gloss black powdercoated parts
YVIV9Om.jpg

Lower sump
fkOA7nC.jpg

Upper sump
cyC8Nt4.jpg

Also got the brakes off the Hubs yesterday, going to give them a good clean and either spray or powdercoat. Probably a high temp spray

4Ow1haL.jpg

oKwKnx1.jpg

I think the need for high temperature paint on calipers is overstated for normal use cars. Ive always used normal paint with no evidence of heat deterioration.
Perhaps if you get heavy track use, it might be an issue.

mmc757 said:
I think the need for high temperature paint on calipers is overstated for normal use cars. Ive always used normal paint with no evidence of heat deterioration.
Perhaps if you get heavy track use, it might be an issue.

I don't think you're wrong mate, but I'd like to cover all bases just on the off chance that I do take it on track, I want everything to look mint and keep its finish.

Things left over to do:

Engine:
Cleaned, refaced and powdercoated Intake manifold ✔
4-2-1 Stainless Exhaust Manifold
Aux Belt ✔
Spark Plugs ✔
New Starter Motor

Gearbox:
Clean, re-paint matte black ✔

Suspension + Steering:
New Genuine Shocks ✔
Powdercoated Springs (Pink) ✔
New Track Rod Ends ✔
New Wheel Bearings ✔
Powdercoated Knuckles ✔
New Driveshafts ✔
Nuts and Bolts all round ✔
ABS Rings Cleaned ✔
Lower Strut bar powdercoated and fitted after engine fitted. ✔

Brakes:
Cleaned, Painted red ✔
Pins, retainers and bleed nipples polished, pins copper greased ✔
New Bolts ✔
New genuine pads ✔
New genuine discs ✔
Goodridge Braided lines

Engine Bay:
PRO Hoses
New Radiator
New Air con condenser
Hydraulic Struts
Cleaned wiring, replacement of conduit
New Battery

Simonavis said:
You are to be credited for doing such a thorough job and preserving a Puma for a good numbers of years yet. Did you find much rot in the body shell or was it pretty clean!

Thank you :) Body shell is okay ish. Definitely some rust there. After I'm done with the engine bay I'm going to take her to a couple of shows, then take her off the road again to focus on the underside, underside components and rear suspension..Then save up for rust fixes and a full respray.

Doing a list of all the bolts I need to buy to get mostly everything done. Starting with the gearbox bits...

Bellhousing to block: M10 X 35MM (6 OF)
Starter Bolts: M10 X 65 (3 OF)
Gearbox 'hat' bolts: M6 X 12MM (10 OF)
Gearbox to bellhousing bolts: M8 X 40MM (10 OF)
Linkage strengthener to gearbox - M12 X 80MM (1 OF)
Torque Mount To Gearbox Bracket Bolt: FINIS 1484229
Torque Mount Brace Bolts: M10 X 30MM, M12 X 35MM, M10 X 90MM, M12 X 85MM

Engine Bay Bits:

Pollen Filter Box - M6 X 16MM (2 OF)
Engine Mount Nuts: M10 (3 OF)
Engine Mount Bolts: M8 X 20MM (4 OF)
Gearbox Mount Nuts: M10 (3 OF)
Gearbox Mount Bolts: M10 X 35MM (4 OF)

Engine Bits:

Idle Control Valve Bolts: M6 X 25MM (2 OF)

Latest posts

Back