New Puma owner

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevew124

Hello all, just purchased my first Puma 1.7 after being a massive fan of them since they first came out.

I searched long and hard to find one near where I live for reasonable money but I was getting absolutely nowhere, this Wednesday I eventually settled on one that was perhaps a little rougher bodywork wise than I would of liked, the usual rust spots and in Pacific green which I wasn't a huge fan of.

Thankfully it had only done 54,000 miles, had full service history and a matching set of almost new Pirelli's all round, recent front discs and pads too, it drives as tight as a drum and really impressed me on the way home. The engine bay after a quick clean up looks almost brand new, I have an OCD level hatred of dirty reservoir caps and bottles and thankfully on this Puma they now look like they just rolled out the factory!

My first job to tackle will be rust, rust and more rust, I've owned many Fords along with quite a few Land Rovers/Range Rovers and most recently a SAAB 9-5 Aero which all are known to suffer with tin worm, so I've plenty of experience of dealing with that, this weekend I plan to crawl all over the inner wheel arches and floor pan front to back to survey just how bad it is, get off any loose stuff and treat it with some rust treatment, paint and eventually a coat of Bilt-Hamber Dynax to finally seal it up for winter......fingers crossed its not too bad!(wouldn't put money on it thought!)

Thanks
Steve

Congratulations on your 1st. Puma, sounds like you have found a half decent one. You'll find plenty of help and information on this group, the How To Guides are very, very helpful.
I use Bilt Hamber products on mine and it seems to work well. It's a medium steel blue one now on 59k miles,after 2 years of ownership, it's due to be all checked again over the winter, also will be using Thompson's water seal on the arch liner's to stop them absorbing moisture.
Also have a Thunder edition on 152k miles, which has rust in places the other one hasn't even thought about, I try and keep on top of the rust, but it's not so easy.

Many thanks guys, imagine Ford used half decent steel and galvanised the bodyshells, we would have nothing to do!

Thompson's water seal is a new one for me, I must look into that because it seems the absorbent carpet liners make the rust situation an awful lot worse

Latest posts

Back