Electric vehicles ......its all starting to go pear shapped.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2

Hi.
I was not sure where to post this. I belong to a local classic car club, as a result I get a copy of FBHVC magazine. I copied and pasted this.

VED – if it moves…!
The media reports I quoted in the last Newsletter as a source
for Treasury intent to introduce a vehicle excise duty rate
(VED) for electric vehicles (EVs) were indeed accurate. It was
confirmed in the Chancellor’s Autumn statement that from 1
April 2025, all electric car owners will be required to pay the
standard rate of road tax VED, which is currently £165 per year.
EV drivers who own a car with a list price of £40,000 or more
will also pay the £355 premium car tax rate, which will take
their yearly VED rate to £520. If you thought this would only
affect those venturing into EV ownership in the future then you
would be wrong. The new electric car road tax rate will apply
to cars first registered on or after 1 April 2017, which means
it will be backdated to include millions of used EVs in the UK
but no further back. Owners of HV EVs can sigh with relief!

I Have been waiting for it to all back fire ...lol.

Regards
Richard.

It was always going to happen, it amazes me that people thought it would be a forever thing. The gov need to raise funds somewhere, ved and fuel duty make up a huge portion of the money the government piss up the wall which will be taking a hit with the increased uptake of EVs.

I still find it amusing (if that's the right word) that it costs me a third more to tax my motorcycle than it does our two cars. :pose2:

I like the idea of EVs however I'm not sure if the economics or the 'greenness' stack up and kind of want to see how it starts panning out after a few years of having thousands of them on the road.

Ved for my cars and bike is rather different,
Mk2 focus st £360
Puma £295
Octavia diesel £20
Cheapo Chinese 125cc £22

Seems fair to me. Now all they need to do is the same thing for diesels. Much lower VED for years yet when I go anywhere nowadays which is rare, I really notice the smell of diesel fumes a lot. I don't know why as I never really noticed them when I drove more regularly unless stuck behind one in traffic. More on the road? or my nose has become more sensitive?

I think in the coming years there may be a charge per mile coming for electric cars which I find a much fairer system, that should have been the case for years for ALL cars - or at the very least, the VED being added to fuel cost which targets both high mileage drivers AND relative emissions - and somewhat "rewards" the opposite - which is way fairer than a blanket charge per year.

After getting rid of our smelly 2003 1.9 Diesel we now own a 2023 S-Max FEHV. It's petrol but does most of it 'local' running around on electric.

Considering its a brand new hybrid I'm surprised the VED on that is more expensive than my Pumesta.

Latest posts

Back