Hi everyone

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markmackenzie01

Hi there everyone so happy to find a place for help I have a x reg 1.7 ford puma my uncle was going out and starting it and taking it round the block until October then it's just been left sitting I tried to start it but battery was dead so I got jump leads and it would only tick over not start. My friend who had a puma a few years ago said the fuel pump wasn't kicking into action so as he had the same problem he said to lift the back seat and and that will give you access to the fuel pump wiring he cut a little notch in the wire and run a wire to the battery and you could here it working then stopped turned out the fuse 31 was gawn for fuel pump changed it and she started but now the guages for the fuel speedo revs and millage arn't working where whereas they were working before we attached the wire to the battery help me please. Fuses for the instrument cluster are fine but fuel pump fuse keeps blowing thanks.

hi, welcome, sounds like either the fuel pump or the wiring, have you had the fault codes read?

Markmackenzie01 said:
[post]350814[/post] Hi there everyone so happy to find a place for help I have a x reg 1.7 ford puma my uncle was going out and starting it and taking it round the block until October then it's just been left sitting I tried to start it but battery was dead so I got jump leads and it would only tick over not start. My friend who had a puma a few years ago said the fuel pump wasn't kicking into action so as he had the same problem he said to lift the back seat and and that will give you access to the fuel pump wiring he cut a little notch in the wire and run a wire to the battery and you could here it working then stopped turned out the fuse 31 was gawn for fuel pump changed it and she started but now the guages for the fuel speedo revs and millage arn't working where whereas they were working before we attached the wire to the battery help me please. Fuses for the instrument cluster are fine but fuel pump fuse keeps blowing thanks.

That'll be the fuel pump then. If they are left for any long periods, they seize up and blow the fuse. I've had this happen on my car and now my neighbours Puma.

The bad news is that there are no access holes under the seat and changing the pump involves removing the fuel tank. This can be a bit of a 'mare to do I'm afraid depending on whether the bolts come off sweetly or not or if the fuel line fixings will release!

Thanks very much I kind of thought that was the answer also heard of people just cutting a hole under the back seat which in my eyes is the easy way out I'll take the harder way though lol. How can I explain the instrument cluster not working speedo revs fuel guage temp all staying at zero?

Might sound obvious but I'm sure there's an immobiliser for the fuel pump or something. Reggie has a warning label on one of the sun visors about it. Maybe it's not seized it's just been tripped? I've had two puma's sit for months and moooonths and months not had this issue with a faulty pump. (touch wood!)

ArtfulHussy said:
[post]350844[/post] Might sound obvious but I'm sure there's an immobiliser for the fuel pump or something. Reggie has a warning label on one of the sun visors about it. Maybe it's not seized it's just been tripped? I've had two puma's sit for months and moooonths and months not had this issue with a faulty pump. (touch wood!)
There's the safety cut out but that wouldn't explain the blown fuses. Mine conked while I was in Tescos last year. I'd been nursing it with new fuses for months. When the RAC chap arrived he said that it was the third Puma or Fiesta he'd had that week. The pumps are just getting to that age where they are getting grumpy and drawing more current. A bit of gunky fuel sitting in it for four months and it just polishes it off.

It could be two separate issues causing the pump and dash issues, so it's always worth casing the dash one first in case it's in some way related to the other.

Reading the codes will require a OBD reader (lots on eBay but make sure they read the Ford protocall) and a smart phone with an app like Torque or a PC running Forscan or similar.

I've read abit about taking out the instrument cluster and looking for scorch marks and clean them off with cleaner is this an option istead of buying a new cluster?

Markmackenzie01 said:
[post]350842[/post] I haven't had the codes read how do I go about this ?? This forum is great guys cheers

I've just purchased this hope I'll have some answers now thanks everyone. http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=111088326026&category=179486&pm=1&ds=0&t=1461605894092

I have this problem on mine but with the pump disconnected the fuse still blows. Mine is a 2000 Millenium model and the fuse is F35. I have checked the relay which seems to work fine but i notice there is a connection via the line to the inertia switch to the fuel injection ECU. Could that be the culprit. I am going to change the pump and filter anyway. Was the original pump a magneti marelli, I noticethere is Lucas one as well it can't have been that surely

Latest posts

Back