Fitting FRP Wishbones to a 1.7 Puma , yes / no

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregr46uk

Hi All
Sorry if its been covered before ...

Question , would a stock Puma being built for the track / hillclimbing benifit from fitting FRP wishbones / hub and long drive shafts ... I'm running 20mm spacers with standard wheels , but would prefere no spacers and reduced off set ( unless advised not too ) . Car has been dropped 30/40mm but still has stock MacPerson's .
Am presumimg off course that you can still get these parts or someone is making / modifying parts to suit the FRP.
I will be running coilovers eg: GAZ with shorter / stiffer springs.
Any help greatfully received .
Greg

Ps, If these parts are available , any idea who best to call , price .

From what I've seen of frp parts they're no longer available, the only route would be adjustable control arms such as these.
https://www.compbrake.com/product/ford-puma-wide-track-adjustable-suspension-wishbones-rose-jointed-includes-adjustable-ball-joint/
Or custom made from Allison automotive, though not cheap.
https://allisonautomotive.co.uk/spares/parts-suspension/

Hi George.
Some time back there was a project thread where someone was making a FRP replica. They cut the bottom arms and added in the extra length then did the same with the steering arms and driveshafts. This part worked fine but obviously the camber was way out then they moved the suspension mounting turrets outwards. I did try to find the thread to point you to it but could not find it. This will only be of use to you if you are able to do, or know, or pay someone to do it.
Regards,
Richard.

H Richard
Thanks for your input , as its a race car , we're not too bothered about cutting parts , modifying them or even changing the mounts to achieve the right camber etc ... so will check out the above and put pen to paper before we do . The wings will come off to make planning easier . As stated the car is already handling better but with the use of spacers.
Regards
Greg

Latest posts

Back