I’m stupid

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince305

I purchased a puma a couple of years ago and broke it for what parts I needed

It was just a couple of months ago I went through my keys and thought I can’t remember the last time I owned a car with that style lock …. So binned it only to remember when I went out to the project car to realise the key I binned was for that blinking car

It wasn’t a remote key and I never received a red key so it was just the one key …. The shell is long gone to scrap and the logbook went with it …. I don’t even know the registration number

Do I need to change the ecu along with the lock set or just the locks and ring ?

I'd have thought it is possible for an auto locksmith to make you a new key just from the lock barrel.

The ECU holds the immobiliser info, you'd need a matching transponder chip (not necessarily a key) to be able to disarm the immobiliser. The ring isn't coded.

red said:
I'd have thought it is possible for an auto locksmith to make you a new key just from the lock barrel.

The ECU holds the immobiliser info, you'd need a matching transponder chip (not necessarily a key) to be able to disarm the immobiliser. The ring isn't coded.

I believe the door locking/deadlocking is controlled by the GEM (general electrical module) located on the right side of the passenger footwell.
As Red says, the immobiliser is part of the ECU. The ring on the ignition barrel isn't ECU specific it just reads the key.

You have a couple of options:
1. Investigate the possibility of getting a key cut from the barrel as Red suggests, but you would still need a coded key for the ECU.
2. Contact IanG (Pumabits) on Facebook to see if he has an ECU, key and lock kit (if needed) then replace them.

If you only get one key for the immobiliser it is possible to code new keys if you have the correct software and OBD/USB device - I coded an extra key as I had no spare but needed at least one key already coded to do it.

Latest posts

Back