Hello

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. Bought a 1.6 with only 25k on it and dealer stamped history in immaculate condition.
Wanted a 1.7 but couldn't walk away from this one.
Want to do a few mids, full exhaust and frp intake with cams too.
It's got a dive ECU . Can I swap this for a Tape ECU and will it then work on the 1.6 with the frp map?
Cheers.
Sean

Hi Sean,

Sounds like you've found a nice one! Interestingly my first Puma was advertised as a 1.6 and when I viewed it found it was a 1.7, I'd have bought that anyway too.

I don't think you would be able to fit the 1.7 specific cams or ECU to a 1.6. (maybe the intake but never seen it done), the 1.7 has variable cam timing and the wiring loom to the ECU is different to the 1.6. In the Fiesta world the 1.6 ZS owners were just doing full lump/loom swaps, presumably because it's the only way.

The 1.6 is tunable in it's own right, I'd stick with what's available and I'd probably also not blow a massive amount on an FRP manifold when you could get another aftermarket intake for much less money.

Cheers Red. Yeah, would like to retain the engine as is, just get more out of it using common parts. Is the DIVE map reprogrammable ? Airbox mod underway, hard to believe the 2 90 degree bends in it. Gonne order a full exhaust off Mfmr Allison and then Newman cams. Perhaps I need a TAPE ECU?

I'd just start with the exhaust system and see how it seems.

I don't know much about ECU swaps to comment with confidence whether the ECUs are different between 1.6/1.7 versions, never mind then whether the FRP map would be suitable for it and what changes you might need to make to pin outs (since you might get issues with temperature readings etc).

Back