Dying clutch, how long does it have left to live??

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatsPuma

My clutch has started to slip, only currently noticeable when accelerating uphill, from 3rd up. Revs jump with power loss. No issues in 1st or 2nd so far, though I'm taking it easy. Is this likely to gradually get worse, or just fail completely very suddenly? I'm trying to work out how soon I can get it in to the garage I use... it's W reg 1.7l if that helps, can't remember current milage off the top of my head (wanna guess 110k-ish?) no idea if the clutch has been replaced before. I'm assuming this is clutch rather than anything else! Any previous experience or helpful suggestions welcome :)

Hello, sounds like the clutch an the mileage out of it slipping can vary, it could last ages still.

Yep, definately sounds like the clutch to me too.

I'd start looking around for replacement clutch/slave cylinder kit prices - and check how much the garage charges to replace with or without supplying the parts as it could save you money if you find the parts yourself. Depends how "decent" the garage is. :eek:k:

Typically would the clutch and the slave cylinder need replacing in one go when this happens? I'll have a word with my garage but normally he gives me a good price, the other car he works on for me is a 1987 Saab, he's pretty good at sourcing random part quickly at a good price for me. Last time the Puma went for MOT I knew the front wipers were knackered but I was VERY short on time so he did them for me and charged less than the ones I'd been going to buy for myself! Like £13 or something.

Slave cylinder is inside with the clutch, so you need to do it at the same time. Otherwise, if the slave fails later, the gearbox will have to be removed again.

Best get the clutch renewed as soon as you can.
Once a clutch plate is worn to that extent then the rivets that fix the friction material to the disc will be pretty close to coming into contact with the flywheel.Plus the fact that its slipping under load will mean that any remaining friction material will be wearing at an even faster rate than normal.
Left too long and you'll be looking at needing the flywheel resurfaced along with a new clutch kit.

OK that's good information to know. Haven't driven it since my original post, better get on the the garage....

Latest posts

Back