1.4 to 1.7 conversion problems

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siju

As I have written in another topic I just finished a 1.4 to 1.7 puma conversion. The engine runs fine but I have a couple of problems. (I write them also here to be more observable).

i) I select 2nd gear with difficulty and to get out of 2nd I have to give a gentle tap on the knob. The 4th gear is better but not perfect. 1-3-5th gears go in and out smoothly. I suspect that it's the gear linkage but I have tried to adjust it but the problem remains. How can I find out if it is the gear linkage or a gearbox problem. On the move when 2nd is engaged it runs smoothly without any weird noises. The oil in the gearbox is new.

ii) the heater fan does not work. That is quite strange as I cannot find a relation between the engine swap and this.

iii) the side repeaters do not work but the hazard lights do! This is also strange.

Have you any thoughts?

Alex

1, adjust linkage sleeve so you can see the hole in the shaft

2, possible panel ive read of problems with these, have you checked the plug into the fan has not been pulled out

3, check all fuses for this and heater fan, if not i would expect a problem with the stalk

1. I have adjusted it so he linkage sleeve covers appr. 1mm of the hole. It is in the place that there are some rust marks. (the place it was in the previous car). But the problem remains. I think that there may be a problem with the gearbox. But is there a way to find out what's wrong with it?

2. The fuse is OK but I didn't have the time to check the plug of the panel. The weird thing is that the problem started after I did the engine swap but the swap had nothing to do with the heater fan! On the other hand I find it hard to believe that it is a coincidence.

3. That is the most irritating problem as I cannot practically use the car. I changed the stalk with one that I had spare and the problem remains. The fuse is also OK. The only thing I suspect is the aftermarket alarm that the car has and may splice into the side repeaters. I have cut and reconnected the alarm's wires but there were two orange wires which I didn't know which went were and maybe have connected them vice versa. But I thought that it would be more probable that the alarm splices into the hazard lights and not in the side repeaters.

Try `over adjusting` the selector, see if the problem transfers to 1st gear.
also try changing gear under the car with a suitable screwdriver etc with the linkage off. see if it goes into gear ok then.
If it`s only with the engine running it could be your slave.

the fan issue is an odd one, double check plugs and try to test the voltage to the fan and work backwards. There are fuses under the bonnet, check them too.

And your indicator problem is almost certainly alarm related...

hope you get it sorted..

Thanks for the tips!
The problem shows both when the engine shut and when the car is running so I don't think that it is the slave. (It is a brand new FORD OEM one).
I will try the "overadjusting" idea and report back.

I will leave the fan issue last as it is the least irritating one!

Regarding the indicators I hope that it is the alarm because it is the easiest way to sort. I have to get rid of that bloody alarm but it splices into many cabin wires and electronics are not my speciality!

BTW the engine works a charm! The response even below 2000RPM is instant. It seems to pull very hard in the low and medium rev range. At the upper part of the range it pulls nice but not so impressive but I think that happens because I 've got used to my brother's puma with LM3s etc. Haha!

Alex

hazards and indicators should utilise same circuit after the relay so its likely to be on the low power switching side, if you get a test light you check for power coming from the stalk to the relay.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/relay-diagram.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have a look as this diagram, I know its for spot lights but the same principles apply, (obviously wire colours will be different on a puma)

1-the main supply on this diagram goes from yellow to red via the relay,

2 - the low power switching side is white, green and 2 earths brown and black - completing / switching the low power circuit causes a magnetic coil in the relay to switch the main supply on - the reason for all this is to avoid burning out switches by running high currents through them

3 i suspect your alarm wiring fault is in low power circuit, (and without looking at the puma setup) theory suggests the hazard switch will have a serperate low power circiuit operating the same relay, hence hazards but no indicators

phew - hope that helps

Impressive and quite informative. That could be the reason for this strange situation (hazards work - indicators no). I will connect the aforementioned same-colour wires the other way round and see if that works!

Thank you for the answers.

Alex

Switching the wires unfortunately didn't solve the problem. But I searched a bit in the forum and also zsoc and found that it is a common problem for the indicators, heater fan and windows to stop working at once. It has to do with a faulty ignition relay located in the fuse box inside the car (it has 3, one left, one right and one at the back- the left is the ignition, the right the heated rear screen and the back one I don't remember :oops: ).

I had not realised yet that my windows also do not work as I have removed the door panels. So today I checked that my windows don't work and I was sure that it would be the aforementioned relay.

Also the recirc light stays "a bit" lighted which as I have read is part of this problem.

When I turn the key to position 2 I can feel the left relay (ignition) clicking so it doesn't seem faulty. But when I try to operate windows,indicators, heater I cannot feel anything. When I put the right relay on the left position the same thing happened.

Concerning the right relay (heated rear screen) when I press the button I can feel it clicking and light of the switch turns on. (it works). When I put the left relay (ignition) in the right position the same thing happens (proving that the ignition relay is not faulty).

Any ideas what can be wrong? I searched the engine bay fuse box diagram and it doesn't seem to be related to any of this.

I hate electrics!!

i can check what mine does and repeort but you really need a test light to understand where the power is and isnt, you can then compare if you are getting 12v at the same places my working set up is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Car-Electrics-Testing-Tool-6V-12V-24V-Tester-Light-Circuit-Screwdriver-/151635915164?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234e34719c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally the problem is solved!! I found that a fuse was missing(!) from the engine fuse box. The owner's manual specifies two positions in the engine bay fuse box that are described as "ignition". I saw that one was not occupied. Then I saw the 1.4 engine's engine bay loom that had the specific fuse in place. So I just took the fuse from the 1.4 loom fuse box and plugged it in the 1.7 loom fuse box. Voila everything worked!
The fuse is the one circled in the photo. (I have taken the photo from some thread here).

FuseBox004_zpsub5orwe8.jpg

Now I need to readjust the gear linkage and if that doesn't solve the problem I think that I' ll take the car to a friendly garage to further research. As I have drove the car for some miles 2nd gear now engages more freely but getting out of it remains difficult. I hope that if the gearbox works for some more miles it may loosen a bit.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Alex

Strange one about the fuse - that loom was marked for sale so it wouldn't have been available to donate bits - and I've also got a box full of them anyway so I've no reason to take a live one :oops:

Glad you got sorted. Keep me posted on the box, I've priced up getting another one to you but nothing sensible money just yet - will keep looking and see if adjusting the linkage or driving it will help. It has been sat up a while which can't help for lubrication etc.

Ian don't worry man. The fuse must have popped out of its place during the transport.

Regarding the box I want to use for some days the car in case the lubrication helps it. 2nd and 4th can be selected easily but they need a light tap (especially 2nd) to get out of them.

The engine runs very smoothly, I quite like it. I also want to thank Ian for the professional packaging (especially the loom which had even the clips on it) and the attention to detail (e.g nuts for the engine and gearbox mounts).

Alex

Back