cone filter

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumalee100

Anyone seen the cone filter and breather filter from Halfords
prob rubbish but,,i keep looking at it everytime
MY puma was a cheap runabout but turning into spending more and more on it haa
its a great car love it!

Have you got a web link, or item number?

I'm using a Halfords cone filter, so wondering if the one you've seen is the same....

yeah this one
http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/772756/reviews.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It might sound faster but that's about all it'll be. 1-2 bhp if you're lucky.

Yes, that's what I've got.
They do/did two different sizes. The large red one and a smaller blue one.
I've got both but am currently using the red one. The induction noise is greater than the blue one.

For quality, they are quite good. I've had the red one fitted for a good while with no signs of it rusting or falling apart.

Word of warning though.... These filters are not universal for the Puma. The neck of the MAF is too wide for the filter to fit straight on. You have to stretch the rubber neck of the filter to get it over the MAF. It's a struggle but will go on with an amount of persistence!

so you recommend it?
and pretty easy fit?
how the fuel consumption and does it help on motorways etc with the new filter

Luckily I was given the red one but I had already bought the blue one. Looking at the cost of both, I don't think I would pay the extra for the red over the blue.
What's you definition of 'easy to fit'!? In my opinion, they are easy as in how they go on, but not that easy as you have to stretch the filter neck to get it on the MAF.
As for fuel consumption, I've not noticed anything different regardless of how or where I drive.

Fuel consumption only increases because you'll enjoy the noise, thus planting your foot more often, thus using more fuel.

I have the covered version with a cold air feed and it sounds great. cant notice much of a performance change just feels a little more responsive but might be a placebo!

CherryVimto said:
Word of warning though.... These filters are not universal for the Puma. The neck of the MAF is too wide for the filter to fit straight on. You have to stretch the rubber neck of the filter to get it over the MAF. It's a struggle but will go on with an amount of persistence!

I've got the larger red filter on mine. Found the same problem as mentioned, the MAF sensor wouldn't fit with the filter so I bought a silicone reducer piece to fit between the filter and MAF.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0094GWTW8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Worked an absolute treat!

where is the best place to put a cold air feed to avoid (as much as possible) sucking up water

thank you inadvance

Ok I got my Halfords filter and crank breather filter
I was thinking about just opening the original airbox and putting the filter in there with no top on it
Would I still need to run a cold air hose into it or would the original opening suffice to let enough air in?
If not any ideas or pictures?

I've left the bottom of the filter box in place. It stops the moisture and dirt being flung up from the arch, even with the arch liner in place.
I haven't got a cold feed to it yet so cant advise on that...

Oh right so it works ok even without a new feed to it?
Whats the noise like and any benefit in performance or MPG?

Mine has been fine with just the bottom of the air box. It's also handy as I've still got the breather pipe connected to it, with the little green sponge still in place.

Performance gains would be arguable but quite a lot of people notice better throttle response.

I've not noticed any difference in MPG.

It's hard to describe the noise. I've found there is a good little spot in the rev range from when it makes the best sound when you stick your foot down.
If you find a road with good acoustics, the sound is great!

WOW after much persistence and hot water to stretch neck I fitted the filter

The noise is at least twice the original,almost to much! Feel like a bit of a boy racer over 4000 RPM!

Back