HT leads or coil pack required?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono 3

Hi folks

I have recently given the car a full service including new spark plugs.

Before the service the car seemed to judder slightly when under load i.e. low revs in 4th/5th gear. Only happened once in a while.

Now after the service the car judders through each gear till the revs get up a bit. To make matters more confusing this only happens once car is up to temp. When it's just started it doesn't happen at all?

Is this symptomatic of HT leads/ coil pack (or both) needing replaced?

Cheers

Jono

Cheers Steve

Is there any way for me to check this before replacing? Dont want to replace then find out it is the ht leads or coil pack (or vice versa).

Also having a look about the site, I'm not sure what lambda sensor I would have on a 97 R plate. Or how many my car will have? If there are 2 how do I know which to replace?

It's non stop trying to get everything sorted. Wheel arches, waxoyle, underseal, timing belt, water pump, hcv, thermostat, full service, 4 new tyres.

Only had the car a couple of months but it's been non stop. Done all this work and car still wont get up to temperature and now it judders everywhere I go.

Frustrating setting in today :(

Cheers

Jono.

it might show up on a fault scan failing that nope, only trial and error replacement

Disconnected the pre cat lambda tonight. Car still drove exaxtly the same.

Does a 97 R plate have a post cat lambda too?

Cheers!

Jono 3 said:
Disconnected the pre cat lambda tonight. Car still drove exaxtly the same.

Does a 97 R plate have a post cat lambda too?

Cheers!

no mate just one pre cat.

Thanks for that.

Means I have no idea again as to why my car is so juddery once up to temp. Unless disconnecting the lambda and having the juddering still happen doesn't rule out any fault with the lambda sensor...

:?

symptoms could still be due to coil breaking down when warm. coils are £100 ish off eBay so it's worth seeing if there's someone local to you with a healthy puma and borrow theirs to quickly eliminate and save forking out. Would lend you mine but I'm 600 miles away :wink:

As steve has already said, swapping bits is sometimes the only way to find an elusive fault.

Cheers for that.

I'll try new ht leads tomorrow, see how that goes. I'm also going to clean the maf, seems to do others peoples cars the world of good.

I hope it's not the coil pack, another £100 would kill me right now..

Jono.

Sounds like the coil.

I have a spare one somewhere, there are two types, I bought a new one which was incorrect for my leads, I'll see if I can put my hand on it.

Ended up replacing mine with a used one and it was fine with that. £100 is top of the shop money for that job.

There are OE spec coil packs on ebay for much less, £50 off quid iirc,

Yeah, wouldn't pay £100 when you can get one for a fraction of the price. I paid £24 off Ebay for an OEM Motorcraft one (the same as the one I took off) and it's still going strong after 30k+ miles ;)

As part of a service you should have changed the HT leads anyway. ;)

Here ya go - take your pick but make sure you get the right one :eek:k:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_ItemCondition=11&rt=nc&Placement%2520on%2520Car=!&_nkw=Ford%20Puma%20Coil&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_fln=1&_sc=1&_sop=15&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coils range from £37 to £60 on ECP, depending which you want.... and they are brand new and warrantied

http://www.eurocarparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Folks, I got it sorted

Ian G, thanks a lot for the offer of a free coil pack, in the end I got one for about £30 and fitted it myself. No more stuttering, car is back to the way it should be!

Been sorted for a while now, just now had the chance to come on here for a bit.

Cheers

Jono

Back