1.4 to 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peppyuk

Hi all,
The wife loves her Puma but is always nagging me about it's lack of power. I've tried talking her into chopping it in for a 1.7 but she loves her car and would rather I replaced the engine for something bigger.
I've noticed the 1.7 engines and boxes sell for pennies on ebay, are they a straight forward fit?

TIA

Pep

The biggest problem I can see is how much your insurance will fly up as the car will be classed as modified. It would be a lot cheaper to just buy a 1.7

You'll also need a new engine wiring loom and ECU as the 1.7 has VCT and your 1.4 doesn't. Different engine sensors etc.

I'm actually preparing for the same thing.

What i think is needed:

Engine, wiring loom, ECU, transponder ring and immobiliser chip from the donor car.

The gearbox is either or, they are exactly the same as far as fitting goes but the 1.4 box has much shorter gear ratios, although they are further apart. It's not that black and white i can tell you in more detail but i won't unless you really want to be bored.

It would be a lot less hassle to drop the 1.6 engine (and gearbox) in. rather than the quite different 1.7.

Though as lusid666 points out your insurance company will have a fit..

I`d recommend trading up to a larger capacity car, saves a lot of problems and it`ll work as it should..

So as far as engine swaps go it's pretty plug and play.

What advantage does the 1.6 have? I had kind of dismissed the 1.6 as I didn't think it was much more powerful than the 1.4?

If you're set on a 1.7 conversion id try to get a spares repair car (mot failure for rust) then you wil have everything you need and be able to se how it goes together (its a different layout on the vct engine)
But yes, pretty much plug and play..
1.6 is the same setup as 1.4 but a more powerful unit..

1.7 as an upgrade, I think 1.6 would be effort for not much gain in my opinion.

Also you can then add further upgrades to increase the power should you want to.

Hi,
If you find you have any issues with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Latest posts

Back