1.7 Engine Rebuilds

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another couple of hindered quid and you've got forged rods and pistons....

Tbh I don't see the mount in getting new pistons, especially not at that price.

just had a price for the oil pump and piston rings....£250 for the pump, £90 for the rings! plus vat!

holy shit :eek:

the thing which is making me think against it is simply that eurocarparts, who are a fucking MASSIVE company, have NEVER sold one, they dont even have a part number. so im inclined to think they cant be something that fails very often at all.

i checked out the part number for the 1.6 and its different, i can only assume its something to do with the fact the 1.7 has vct, maybe its a slightly higher capacity pump? god knows.

im thinking ill just inspect the pump and if it looks fine with no visible wear or damage its gonna go back on.

i checked with ford and they were similar pricing, while i was on to them i asked about new short motors seeing as they didnt list any rebuild parts...£3k plus vat :cry:

Along with many ford engines of the era, they were designed as a throwaway non servicable unit, hence why you cant get much off ford. I doubt they expected to see many on the road beyond 10 years.

Its just lucky that the demand was there for euro and others to make the effort to source the bits.

1.7 specific parts are expensive due to only 100,000 units were made in total at Yamaha so the amount of spare engines and parts kept at Daventry were always VERY low numbers compared to other Zetec variants.... the price of the short block reflects that :lol:

personally I think it's nice that these parts like pistons and rings etc are all available to order :cool:

short answer to this topic is a big fat Nope! Mine happens to have problems on the vct side. No new parts are available anywhere, and even if you find them, you're better off buying another engine for that money :-(

i came across an issue yesterday rebuilding my new engine. the big ends i got from eurocarparts are wrong. theyre 40mm, which is what a quick google search suggests the big end journals should be, however, mine are 42. god knows how or why but its a pain in the arse!

other than that, so far so good...

Sorry for the very late reply to this.

The reason I wanted to rebuild the current engine rather than get a replacement was so that the numbers etc all match up, the problem I have is that if it is Piston slap then surely the bores will need to be checked and rebored which means oversized pistons. These are not available from Ford though

im sure ive seen oversized pistons for the 1.7 during my hunting online for stuff, they will probably be quite expensive though. cross that bridge when(if) you come to it though. the engine im rebuilding was on fairly high miles at 120K or so, and the bores were perfect.

on the issue of the big ends, ive found out the toyota 4A-GE engines made after 87 ran the same sized bearings as the puma, ive struggled finding puma bearings at a reasonable price so im gonna get some of these and see how i get on. the width is the only thing im unsure of but ill obviously report back when ive tried them.

Back