1.7 Exhaust question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnnicol

Hi folks, I've been working away on my car, when the back box fell of due to rust, after having a look at the rest of the exhaust, its pretty knackered. So I'm looking for some advice on how to get it out.
So far I've remove the top heat shield and bolts from the manifold, and the bolts from the top of the cat. Underneath, I had to remove the driveshaft, the extra bit that joins onto the hub. Not sure if I've missed anything.

So the next question is what to get to replace it, a mate has a 4/2/1 manifold stainless that he didn't use, and was thinking about using that, the car is for road use, so I'm guessing it'll need a cat also, any ideas what I can use, or am I best just getting ford parts.

Any help / advise would ne great.

Hi Chap,

With the 4-2-1, for MOT requirements (emissions), you require a cat converter. For that manifold there are two off the shelf so to speak that I can think of and that is one from an FRP (which are hard to get hold of) and the other is from a Milltek exhaust system.
These parts, coupled with the rest of the exahst, centre pipe and backbone can be expensive but do give a small amount of performance gains.
If it is merely for road use and maintaining the vehicles on the road condition, I would personally advise to go with the original parts simply as cost will be relatively cheaper.

Mac

Also getting a 4-2-1 fitted with the engine in place is nigh on impossible. A tubular version of the standard manicat is a better option. There's a firm in Bolton that do them with a sports cat for £199, made of stainless. I think they're called performance Motorsport spares or something like that. They have an ebay shop anyway.

Hi,
In your original post you have not said what you want. Are you after an exhaust system just to keep your Puma running at minimal cost or are you going down the road of performance mods at minimal cost or at any cost. I am about to undertake a conversion to a full FRP system which will end up costing me about £700. If you want to wait about a month you can have my old system which is in good condition with a back box that is solid with relatively few miles (6000)
Regards
Richard

Back