1.7 track car project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fitted the spoiler today, fairly easy once I made a template of the bases.

just need a front splitter now

Spoiler looks good, very lairy...
I gotta ask, how heavy is it?
by the look of it you would get plenty downforce by throwing it in the boot! :wink:

Ive just found and fitted a splitter, there is a how to guide on here with some pics and contact details for the fella who supplied it.

Playing track-prep today, Im sprinting at Blyton Saturday. :grin:

Nice one Stu, spoiler weighs about 3kg, its a genuine Ford one - weighs less than the dash so I think I countered it lol. Only fitted it for the look, if it does anything (which I doubt) thats a bonus.

Best of luck in the sprints and dont forget to post times - positions and videos.

I've just bought a new in car camera - GoPro knock off so will have plenty from Cadwell on the 29th

This is looking good mate. Keep us updated on your dash removal and how you fix what's left! I'm keen to do mine but scared about what I'll find behind there! lol

sods law - 7 days before we go to Cadwell and the car has developed a problem.

very lumpy tickover and stalls when returning to idle. Changed the spark plugs and the idle control valve but its still doing it.

I've put some Forte fuel treatment in and a Forte engine flush as I'm doing an oil change tomorrow but scratching my head a bit about the lumpy tick over and failure to idle.

No misfire or loss of power while driving

Well its got worse - really loud buzz occassionaly after a rev, whilst under the bonnet it did it and is the variable cam - timing has advanced itself - hence the lumpyness - sounds like the cam timing is knackered. Going to change the whole engine for a spare one I have in the garage.

Thats the curse of Cadwell, last time we blew both clutches on track at Cadwell, this time it doesn't want us to even get there - had to change the Pumestas gearbox today as it was jumping out of 2nd

Thats sounds like the end of an engine to me..
lucky you you carry a spare..
I seem to have exploded my front shocks at Blyton (as well as roasting half a set of Brembo pads and my rear shoes!!!)
So my planned Cadwell outing in a fortnight is off :-(
Maybe its a cursed track!!

I see a 280mm conversion on the front (I only need the 12mm bolts) and possibly a focus rear disc conversion (to make it easier to work on/weight)
Couple that with a new master cylinder and braided lines I think I should be able to stop on a button if needed....

Shockers I have, I just need to swap my springs
With six weeks till Oulton, I may even strip out my dash too..

Trublustu, I wouldn't go with the discs on the rear, my son has the conversion on his pumesta and found the rears locking up first - had to fit a bias valve in to try and control it and there was no real benefit in the end. Bigger fronts will deffo help but the drums are just fine for the rears

Anyways, today new engine fitted. It was a gamble as we bought it without hearing it run quite a while ago but after fitting it, it seems to be a really smooth engine. coupke of minor bits to tweak, small water leak and I've run another flush through so needs an oil and filter change.

Took the opportunity to ditch the aircon and replace the coolant temp sensor. Also had to replace the alternator belt and idler pulley. Timing belt looked pretty new. New spark plugs in and degreased the engine with a jetwash afterwards ....bit of a long day considering we also had 4 MOT's in plus a Rover 25 clutch job and prep a Type R for Cadwell that needed two inner CV boots and tracking....

All ready for Cadwell tomorrow - engine flush and oil change done.

Also found out, the engine I've just put in only has 64000 miles on it, my old one was over 140000

Sounds like you have had a busy day or two...
Good luck with Cadwell tomorrow, I hope the weather gods smile on you :cool:

My engine is on 121k and is quiet and runs "nice and loose". Ive heard motors with half that which sound like a bag of bolts.
I think its all down to previous maintenance (mainly regular, decent oil)
Thanks for the heads-up regarding the rear discs.
I will probably still try it as I have an early non abs master cylinder with bias valves, with the upgrade to the front it should work. If it doesnt, ill just put it all back how it was! (the abs will be going though!)

Once more, all the best for tomorrow...

Looks like you have been very busy, looks like a good mixture of cars tomorrow and should see you at a track soon.

Cadwell was brilliant - the Puma and the Pumesta were the two fastest cars on track - just about. It was very very wet but the Puma gripped very well with the Toyo T1Rs. Lots of people came up to us to ask what was under the bonnet and why we were so quick.

We just had a ball overtaking everything despite the atrocious conditions. There were several big crashes and every other session was red flagged. I've got 6 Gb of video that I'm sorting through and uploading so will have something to show you in the next couple of days - in the meantime, here's some photos

Finally managed to upload a couple of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui46VkEt1Lw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UaZmMDK2Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking good. Toyo's are pretty good in the wet. I am still not a fan off track days but that circuit looks fun. Is it the one where the superbikes jump on that crest?
Have you tried the small track up in Middlesbrough?
It's a good little track and it's not a lot off money and I think owners clubs or forums can hire it for the day.

Graeme

Well it look like the weather gods were doing something on you, I dont think it was smiling though....
Your cat seemed to behave immaculately itself in the wet, T-1Rs do seem like a real bargain trackday tyre.
Did you have any "misting" issues, with the windscreen vents being absent?

mrbushrat - yes it is the one with the jump and the cars do go very light and spin the wheels up there, not tried the autodrome yet.

trublustu, no issues with misting the heater still blows onto the screen, it was the side windows that steamed up a bit at times. T1R's were excellent both here in the wet and at Oulton in the dry a very good all round tyre for track days and at £150 a set cheap.

The sad thing about a wet Cadwell was, a lot of people did a few laps and then packed up and went home - we had as much fun, if not more in the wet.

Here's another video of me chasing my son in his Puma engined Zetec S - this video pretty much captured the day, the two of us were like this all day long - did nearly 200 miles on track, £240 worth of petrol between us ! Cadwells fuel prices don't help though...£1.60 a litre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld-qcOq1AH8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another video from the Pumesta chasing the Puma https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx3Wqgrw40s&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back