17” wheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewmorgan93

Hey guys I’ve got a millennium edition Puma but looking at buying some 17” wheels for it to replace the standard 15”. I also want to lower the car by 35mm anyone done either who could advise me on any issues or potential problems I may face? Cheers

I've had 17" wheels and to be honest I think they are too heavy and the profile of the tyre I had to have the mine was a bit of a weird size.
I doubt you'd get it lowered by 35mm if you fit 17's

I think a good compromise is 16"

Hi

I run Focus ST 170 wheels with 205/40/17 tyres. I also run 30 mm HR hubcentric spacers front and rear, you will need these spacers with the ST wheels, the bearings only load up the equivalent of 16mm spacers. Over the past six years there has been no problems with the wheel bearings. I have also fitted the equivalent of the FRP springs. I have had no issues what so ever with this set up.
Focus ST wheels are genuine ford, they are reasonably cheap and they add a period look, if that's what you are after. Photos of the car are on my project thread. My Puma.

Regards
Richard

Cheers guys got myself a set of ST 170 wheels today. So you’d suggest getting 30mm spacers front and rear ? How does this effect the handling? Wouldn’t 30mm Leave a lot poking out especially on the front arch? Cheers

No, it would not. Puma has ET34 wheels, focus wheels have ET52.5 IIRC. Also, original puma wheels are 6J15 dimension, focus are 7J17. So you have half an inch increase in width towards inside and the complete wheel is offset towards inside by 18.5 mm (52.5-34) plus half an inch (another 12.7 mm) what gives 31.2 mm.
30 mm spacers negate that (leaves 1.2 mm) but the rim is wider half an inch (12.7 mm) to the outside as well so that gives increase of 11.5 mm. That should fit in comfortably

Hi.
Handling great, looks great, Look at the photos on my thread. I think it is how the Puma should have been from the outset instead of the namby pamby wheels hiding in the depths of the wheel arch.
regards

Cheers guys. Richard having seen the photos on your thread the stance looks great what springs are you running and how much is it lowered by ? Cheers

Any idea what the drop is as you guess correctly eibach no longer do lowering springs for the puma. I'm looking at apex springs but they are 35mm drop and I'm not sure on a 17 inch wheel and a 205/40/17 tyre if they will rub or not hopefully someone can help me on that one. As regards the spacers are you running 30mm spacers all round?. Do you need to have axle spacers? The cost is rising as we speak 😂😂😂 cheers

Hi.
30 mm spacers all round. drop 35 mm. Axle spacers not necessary. I put them on as my first mod before all the others, they bring the rear wheels right to the edge of the body work.

Richard

Hello Richard do you know what the centre bore size you need for the spacers are to fit both the hub on the Puma and the st170 alloys cheers ?

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
Hi.
Handling great, looks great, Look at the photos on my thread. I think it is how the Puma should have been from the outset instead of the namby pamby wheels hiding in the depths of the wheel arch.
regards

matthewmorgan93 said:
Hello Richard do you know what the centre bore size you need for the spacers are to fit both the hub on the Puma and the st170 alloys cheers ?

Puma hub is 63.4

Back