175 Bhp

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raggamuffin

Hi all,

Returning here as i'm buying another Puma tomorrow. On Saturday i'm getting a Piper exhaust system and manifold fitted.

After that i'm looking at getting the following:

Cams
Port Polish
Throttle Bodies
Replacement ECU and remap

Do you think with these mods 175 is realistic? I know the cams and exhaust alone with a remap would see 150. Is an extra 25 achievable from throttle bodies and port polish?

I saw OC motorsport do a supercharger kit but it's 3200 for around 175 and in all honesty i'm wondering if 175 bhp is achievable N/A for under 3k?

Ed

The exhaust, cams and remap will NOT get you to 150... more likely 138-142bhp
The ITB's, it depends what ITB's you use, the trumpet diameter and the engine management that is done for them. 200 can be achieved with a brilliant setup, but you can also get setups that will just get you to 160bhp... Cash is King.

A well set up throttle body kit will see you well past your estimate of 175 mate, you should be looking at 200bhp plus (providing you want that much).

I only opened this thread because you have a Bad Ass name!!

it is possible,a lad with a mk4 fiesta 1.7 acheived 182bhp with cams exhaust and bodies and i think he now has more with high compression pistons and NOS

The Cams will be from OC Motorsport. Looking around cams all seem to be high 400 to low 500 price range. Not sure if there's better than these. The throttle bodies i'm not sure about. I've seen someone put GSX-R throttle bodies on a Puma engine and I was interested in that as a more budget route. But as you say, top performance won't be achieved if I cut corners on what I purchase.

I've just come from a Saab 9-5 and whilst she was a whale the turbo and additional torque made me want to get that sort of power in a Puma as they're so much more agile and more fun. But as with a supercharger the turbo route is pretty damned expensive too.

Can anyone recommend throttlebodies and an aftermarket ECU to go with it if the Gixxer throttle bodies wouldn't see the necessary gains to help me hit 175 bhp

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Ed

Take look at lightning motor sport. They have cams and throttle bodies plus you can look at their turbo conversions if fancy spending some money.

Yeah i've noticed their site before but totally forgot about them until you mentioned them. £1750 for 170-175bhp doesn't seem too bad at all really.

Ed

PumaNoob said:
A well set up throttle body kit will see you well past your estimate of 175 mate, you should be looking at 200bhp plus (providing you want that much).

I only opened this thread because you have a Bad Ass name!!

PumaNoob, what are you doing on here? Shouldn't you be changing green poo nappies or something! :p

That sounds awesome. I'd love to have one fitted but i'm not mechanically minded. Mind you i'm saving up to start doing evening courses in mechanics and welding as I'm eager to change career. I'm fed up of office work :p

I bought the Puma today and collecting it tomorrow. I got it in red, it's held up very well for a '99 model in terms of colour. Very vivid. Never really thought i'd have gone for it in that colour but up close it's really nice. Off to Essex tomorrow to get the manifold and exhaust system fitted at OC Motorsport. Hip hip horray

Ed

Yeah, but Ollie is a decent chap and knows is onions when it comes to working on cars. Supplied and fitted prices ain't so bad ;)

My Puma had a new engine supplied and fitted by him back in 2007

The exhaust and manifold is second hand for 450. The fitting he said 2-3 hours and is only charging £90 which I thought all in all wasn't too bad?

Ed

raggamuffin said:
The exhaust and manifold is second hand for 450. The fitting he said 2-3 hours and is only charging £90 which I thought all in all wasn't too bad?

Ed

A Second hand 4-2-1 plus system for £450... My point exactly! That is ridiculous!

Maybe. But I usually say 50% off RRP is it's used and it came with a sports cat too so I figured it works out to around £450. But I don't mind, it's all fitted now and i'm loving it so i'm happy.

Ed

it's a piper system you got isn't it? with aggressive cams and a good map i would say 150 is achievable providing the car is running well without the upgrades. Fix a cold air feed to the box and throw a fresh filter and you'll probably see another couple of horses, if not it will definitely feel much crisper

Back