300mm brake upgrade in progress, details required

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMeanie

Hi all,

Following advise and forum posts from you guys, I've bought Mondeo mk3 callipers and ST170 discs.

I removed the old Puma discs and callipers this morning, and I'm ready to put the Mondeo callipers on.

I've got my grinder handy, and going to tackle the raised bits on the callipers shortly (any advice on what to trim appreciated), but I've read (and trial fitting the discs and carriers) and I understand I'm going to need spacers just to move the carriers out a smidge.

Are we just talking about washers? Or is there a more specific engineering solution I need. If it's washers, what thickness and outside diameter am I going to need? (guessing a 12mm internal hole).

Once they're on and the callipers ground, should it all bolt back together or do I need wheel spacers as well?

Thanks guys for all your help,

Steve

I really wouldn't go near your brakes with a grinder, especially if you're unsure, just get some bigger wheels

With Mondy calipers they bolt straight on, it's only ST170 calipers that need modding.

As above grinding them is a risky game and you'd be better off getting 16s or if you want to keep standard wheels 3mm spacers will be enough.

Hi all,

Well, being mechanically competent I've gone ahead with the brake mod and fitted the Mondeo Mk3 callipers. There were so many people saying they had success with this upgrade and keeping the original (non- fan style) 15" wheels that I felt it was worth a go. I have needed to grind down the carrier in a couple of places, and the calliper on the two shoulders that are exposed and the leading edge slightly. Not difficult, but a little time consuming fitting the calliper, trying the wheel and then taking it off again to grind. I didn't need to take much off and I've actually got enough clearance without wheel spacers, but for now to give me a bit more room I'm using 3mm wheel spacers, as the inside of the wheel rims are tapered and moving the wheel out just increases clearance slightly. As the pads wear the callipers will move inwards, so I could take the spacers off, but there's still a good 8 turns of wheel nuts holding the wheels on so I'm happy for now. My thoughts are that the extra 6mm track will have an effect on wheel bearings, and also a question as to whether I should put 3mm wheel spacers on the back now as well. Any advice?

3mm spacers wont really bother he bearings (it will slightly improve the handling)
I`ve used them (on track) for a year or so and have had no issues with nuts wanting to fall of either..

Latest posts

Back