6 speed box or higher 5th ratio?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireFly90

I've noticed when doing 70mph on dual carriageway or motorway that when in 5th gear the engine is going at 3500-4000rpm which i think is quite a bit if you're just cruising (maybe it's just me). Has anyone fitted a 6 speed box or changed the ratio of 5th gear?

its not just the puma that cruises at that revs,if ford thought it was fine and can still give a decent mpg with decent aceleration why change it

Nice thing is though at those revs acceleration from 65/70 upwards has the ability to catch a lot more modern cars out :lol:

Love tootling through my local village in 5th then letting the torque pull it up to over 70mph up the hill the other end, higher gearing would have spoilt that.

Why spoil what Ford has done :?:

Agree with the above posts, leave it as it is.
The motor is in its stride at 3500 upwards, its not as if you have wheeze pinto in there....

If we go away on a long run our 61 plate Octavia 1.8 tsi 4x4 does the mile munching, around 2700 at 70 in 6th. Totally different car and driving style though. It's quick and handles well, but nowhere near the seat of pants drive that the puma is.

Fair enough with all your responses, maybe it is just me then XP. Done a few long runs recently since i got it and it's just something that popped into my mind.

Noise wasn't really what i was thinking about, more the fuel consumption at that engine speed

The same thoughts occured to me on the rare occassion I did any motorway time.
A little less revs a little quieter a little smoother and a little more economical would be nice.

if you put a 6 speed box in there you would kill the acceleration, the puma has a short ratio box as standard, messing about with it would just ruin the car.

if you want economy buy a diesel

There must be some solution for those who would like this kind of improvement? that dont include sarky comments about buying a diesel.

The concept of using six speed box is surely a good one? and six speed boxes are used in many sporty cars surely?

A six speed box in itself wouldnt kill the acceleration, just the use of a six speed box from an unsuitable car with unsuitable ratios and I'm pretty sure the original poster wasnt after a bad suggestion of a replacement box, but was rather looking for a good suggestion / solution.

As for the idea Martin that if Ford think something is fine then it must be :roll: well many of us might as well call it a day if that was true.

So come on guys whats a good way to deal with this question?

The idea of sixth gear is solely to improve economy. The first four are the acceleration gears, 5th is a cruising gear and sixth is an economy, something like the box out of a st170 might work with a shorter diff ratio and a fair amount if work

At 70 my 1.7 does 3.2k rpm, maybe you could give it an oil change, clean things etc...as a first port of call, PS mine is 99k on the clock!

Improve what you have and you then have the best of both worlds: great throttle response and better mpg.

FireFly90 said:
Fair enough with all your responses, maybe it is just me then XP. Done a few long runs recently since i got it and it's just something that popped into my mind.
Not just you.. I am new to Pumas and I was surprised at how soon you change into 5th gear with normal driving. I have come from 4x4's though, so having an engine that revs is quite something.

Van_Dammesque said:
At 70 my 1.7 does 3.2k rpm, maybe you could give it an oil change, clean things etc...as a first port of call, PS mine is 99k on the clock!

Improve what you have and you then have the best of both worlds: great throttle response and better mpg.

Thats a bit less RPM than Firefly90 and me and I suspect many others, do you have different size wheels Than 15" on your car?

Ginger Tom said:
The idea of sixth gear is solely to improve economy. The first four are the acceleration gears, 5th is a cruising gear and sixth is an economy, something like the box out of a st170 might work with a shorter diff ratio and a fair amount if work

I had a brief look on ebay and they looked quite different what kind of work apart from internals would be needed to make one physically fit Tom?

quest63 said:
Van_Dammesque said:

Thats a bit less RPM than Firefly90 and me and I suspect many others, do you have different size wheels Than 15" on your car?
No mate, standard types.

Had wheel-buckle fixed, new cambelt, new middle and back exhaust, fuel pump, new oil and filters, bosch sparkplugs 4prong thingies, battery etc...since getting it 2 years ago.
Running smooth as a purring puma, touch wood!

I always seem to have high oil levels and it never leaked after I changed my rocker gasket, it has never gone down in 9 months! New oil since then though but. :?:

Dal said:
My 70mph actual on GPS shows at 71 on the speedo so 60 shown on the clock will be about 59 and a bit.

Speedoaccuracy.jpg

About 3.2k revs on 17" alloys

(And hence why the GPS speed and speedo readings are pretty close..

i changed the 5th gearset for a fiesta 1.25 one... it now makes just 3000 rpm at 120 kmph... and it is much more relaxed! when you hit more than 135 kmph... the VCT begins it work... so you are a bit slower till that...

It is also much faster on top speed... lol

quest63 said:
Ginger Tom said:

I had a brief look on ebay and they looked quite different what kind of work apart from internals would be needed to make one physically fit Tom?

I'll get a box and see what needs to be done, may be able to swap internals over, I'll post up a thread when I get a box

Latest posts

Back