ABS and Traction control lights

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalie

Hey guys, wondering if you could help. The ABS and Traction control lights keep coming on every now and then and the ABS activates itself at low speed braking sometime which is quite worrying, also there is an electrial noise that sounds a bit like a relay, this only happens when the ABS comes on. Perhaps a faulty sensor or maybe warped disc? Really appreciate some help!
Cheers
Nat :grin:

It could be a dirty/faulty ABS sensor.

Welcome to the site by the way!

Have you had it on a diagnostics machine yet? Or are you looking for suggestions first? :)

Hope you enjoy the site!

Just had mine in the garage for the same thing. Diagnostic cost me £39 and it was a faulty sensor. Whole bill inc labour cost me £194.

Job done - shame it was January!!!

Might just need a clean as my ABS light was on - cleaned all four and the lights now off. Especially the enclosed space of the rear ones where the muck can't get out.

mine has the same problem and when i brake it makes a noise and can feel movement under the pedals anyone got picture of the sensors and i'll try clean them i havn't got a clue where they are ???

Front:
[albumimg]523[/albumimg]
Just behind the hub - you can see the ABS ring that it points to.

Rear:
[albumimg]1286[/albumimg]
The silver disk just to the left of centre.

Better off not having ABS in the snow. At least if your front wheels lock up and skid, you'll build a wedge of snow in front of the wheel and eventually stop. Unlike 'never braking' ABS.

Mine has been doing the same thing for the past few months. Had it diagnosed as a faulty sensor. The rear abs sensor was damaged but we are yet to have it fixed as it was a bit of a guesstimate as the diagnosis was not accurate. I am now a little concerned as the seatbelt/airbag light is now on permanantly??? To top it off the battery has died too ( or so I think...have no idea if it is the alternator or what??? Any ideas??

Personally Im glad it has ABS. When we had bad weather before christmas, I was out in the dark one morning driving to uni. It turned into a blizzard and I could hardly see where I was going so i turned back. On one road I didn't know, it curved to the left fairly sharply, but I didn't see this til the last minute due to the conditions (not speed) and had to brake and turn to avoid going into a ditch. I was able to do this, if I locked the front wheels I would have had a challenge on my hands avoiding the ditch.

thanks for the picture gonna enjoy the snow with no traction control for now ;) lol

Just got my sensor replaced last week, total cost £140, sensor itself was £89.

I feel your pain, low breaking vibrations, Ive only had my puma for a month so was so annoyed that they went as soon as id got it.

Its worth gettin fixed, puts a smile on your face at the end of a journey when the lights havent come on!!!!

sabue said:
thanks for the picture gonna enjoy the snow with no traction control for now ;) lol

All i can say is the TC and ABS proved pretty useless for me on monday, maybe ts just mine but it did me no favours. im not sure if it would of been any worse without them, but didnt at the time seem to make an impact

to test the system does the old paper clip test that works on ford/puma (can bridge two terminals on a vec b, and the engine management light flashes the code)???

my ABS and Traction control lights only light up when i start the car :? Tried to drive in the loose gravel to see if the lights are coming up as they do in my other half VW Golf V6, but didn't work. Is that normal or is something wrong?

Perfectly normal liisu31. It's not the most advanced TC system in the world! lol

Can you see a button? lol

Nope - there isn't a button to switch it off.

Back