Adding extra airbag

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiiHu

I don't know if this is the right section for this, but I'll ask this here anyway.

I have 1999 1.7 Puma and it has only one airbag, which obviously is driver's. There are some rare models with two airbags, but I haven't seen one in Finland. There aren't even leather seated ones here, only the boring models without any extra features.

So is it possible to add passenger's airbag to my Puma? If so, what it would require? Would it be just plug and play or should some electrical stuff be changed? I think the answer will be that this can't be done, but I want to be sure.

Dash loom is different, and that also joins to the control box which is different and the seat belt tensioners, which unless you got the same year (there are a number of different revisions) will be different also.

Certainly possible with enough parts - but a big job to fit and very difficult to test!

I've seen images of LHD Puma's with passenger side airbag, so yes :D

Edit: Note for myself: don't browse forums with phone (triple post)

First, can you suply a picture of your dash? Specificly the passanger side?

As far as i can tell, it is standard whit 2 airbags in the puma, I have never come across one whit only one.....

If you look at the vin plate in the window, it wil state how many airbags you have :)

In the odd chanse that you realy only have one, I would not atempt to fettle whit the srs system. It is a werry integrated system, which consists of several parts, not just the airbag, but also the belt tensioners, the belts them selfe, the srs controll unit, the impact sensors.

If you mess whit any of these, and you have an accsedent, and somone is hurt or killed because of what you have done, you are liable...

I would stay away from the srs system...

Cartman said:

As far as i can tell, it is standard whit 2 airbags in the puma, I have never come across one whit only one.....

Well mine sure as heck only got one! Yes I have a LHD one too.

Hmmm. Must be a marked spesific thing... Atleast here in norway it was standard wit 2 airbags :)

Cartman said:

If you look at the vin plate in the window, it wil state how many airbags you have :)

In the odd chanse that you realy only have one, I would not atempt to fettle whit the srs system. It is a werry integrated system, which consists of several parts, not just the airbag, but also the belt tensioners, the belts them selfe, the srs controll unit, the impact sensors.

If you mess whit any of these, and you have an accsedent, and somone is hurt or killed because of what you have done, you are liable...

I would stay away from the srs system...
Here is the image. Sorry about quality, I cropped that from panorama image which was taken while car was moving.
z8FB0gb.jpg

Vin plate also says that my Puma has only one airbag. If I remember correctly, I have seen like 1 or 2 Pumas in Finland with two airbags and I think they all were newer, 2000 models.

Maybe I just leave the SRS system alone and cry myself to sleep every evening :roll:

That's odd to me.. But who am i to say what is right :)

It looks just like mine, but if it only sais one, then it only has one :) look in my projekt tread in my signature, one of the first pictures shows my dash. You can se the sts logo on the dash.

I wouldd effenetly leve it alone :) better safe, than sorry :)

Yep, better leave it alone. Of course there is one tiny plus side if you have only one airbag: you can install iPad or video screen there :D

Back